Display a charlie brown thanksgiving original1 1024x576
by Haley Young

7 Things You Should Do When You Go Home For Break

By Haley Young - Nov 09 2015

Thanksgiving is right around the corner and if you're anything like me and the others in my dorm, you can't wait. A long weekend spent at home without the constant stress of a college campus sounds like heaven in the middle of midterms and papers - and here are seven things you should do to make sure you get the most out of your Thanksgiving relaxation.

1. Hug Your Parents

Like, right away. I don't care if your hands are full or if you're exhausted from the journey home. These people raised you, had faith when they sent you off to college, and are now anxiously awaiting the holidays where they can have their whole family back together under one roof again. Show them how much you appreciate it all.

2. Take A Shower

In your own bathroom, with good water pressure, reliable temperatures, and best of all - no shower shoes required. We never knew it would be a luxury until we got to college, but showering in a bathroom that hasn't been used by countless other people in the last 24 hours is pretty wonderful.

3. Shower Your Pets With Love

Our pets are truly some of our best friends, and sometimes we don't realize just how comforting they are to us until we've been without them. Show your animals that you still care and take some extra time to cuddle and play - their entire lives changed when you left, and they deserve some reassurance too.

4. Enjoy A Home Cooked Meal (As Many As You Can)

Enjoy your parents cooking as much as possible while you're home. Good food is a staple of Thanksgiving, but even simpler meals that don't come from a residence hall or fast food joint can have amazing effects on your mood. Better yet, take advantage of having a fully equipped kitchen available to your use, and whip up some recipes of your own!

5. Connect With Friends

A lot of us went our separate ways from our high school friends at the start of this school year, and Thanksgiving might be the first time you're all back in the same town again. Make an effort to see as many of your old friends as possible - by this point there's plenty to catch up on!

6. Pack Up Your Winter Clothes

For some, Thanksgiving break is the first time coming home since leaving for college. It's starting to get cold out there and if you haven't yet it's a good idea to pack up and take along your winter jacket, scarves, hats and mittens - we all know we're going to need them before Christmas rolls around (at least those of us in the frozen tundra of the north, anyways).

7. Take A Deep Breath

We know that when break ends, it's back to college - this time to the hectic end of the semester. We'll have less than a month to finish our classes and earn final grades by completing research projects, finals and who knows what else. Take your time on Thanksgiving break to prepare for what's ahead, and remind yourself that you can do this. Save up some inner peace for when you'll really need it and don't forget that in a month you'll be home yet again. We've got this.

Lead image credit to cartoonimages.com.

Haley Young - University of Wisconsin–Madison

Haley Young is a freshman at the University of Wisconsin Madison and loves everything about being a Cheesehead. Writing is her biggest passion, but she's pretty fond of bad puns and Christmas lights too. You can find out more about her and her work at Clompish.com.