Display new couple pic
by Hailey Rial

Why Your High School Relationship Won't Work in College

By Hailey Rial - Jun 25 2015

I'm a pretty optimistic person when it comes to relationships. I don't think time or distance are reasonable excuses for a relationship to not be pursued or for a relationship to end. But, let's face it, there's a lot of changing that goes on from the time high school ends and college begins. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you're still in a relationship with the person you were with junior year of high school, it probably won't work out.

My best friend was with her now ex-boyfriend for five years before they broke up at the end of her senior year of high school and his freshman year of college. The night after they attended her senior prom, he went back to college and she discovered him cheating on her. Five years together and he not only ruins that, but he ruined their summer together and all of their future plans together. She never thought that this would happen.

Statistics also say that it is unlikely for high school sweethearts to stay together in college. Less than 2 percent of marriages are to a high school sweetheart. Once these couples get to college and meet new people, find new things to do and discover what being an adult is like, they part from each other.

People change. It's a part of life and a major part of love. If you believe that you and your high school sweetheart can make it in college, good luck to you. However, the odds are stacked against you.

Lead Image Credit: Marc Gascoigne

Hailey Rial - Indiana University Bloomington

Hailey Rial is a freshman at Indiana University in Bloomington and she is majoring in journalism. In high school, she was an avid writer for her school newspaper's opinion column. She likes reading, writing, music and laughing. You can follow her on Instagram @haileyababay!