Display the office cast
by Graysen Reid

Buying Textbooks as Told by The Office

By Graysen Reid - Jan 17 2018

As the new semester rolls around, so does the time to buy new textbooks. I don't know about anybody else, but for me, buying textbooks is pretty high up there on the list of things I don't like. If you're lucky, your professor won't require a book or at the very least allow you to buy an older, cheaper version, but there are always those that require the newest as well as an access code or some other material. The cast of "The Office" is here to take us through this tumultuous emotional roller coaster that is buying textbooks.

1. Getting the List

First, your college might release your book list ahead of time, allowing you to prepare in advance for your first day. It might include prices from your campus bookstore which can be pretty scary, but maybe they're cheaper somewhere else right?

2.  When Your Class Requires an Access Code

Not only do you have to pay for your book, but you also have to pay to be able to do the homework?! There has to be some kind of rule against this right?

3.  When the Book is School-Specific

This is extremely irritating because there is no way that you can look for the cheapest option. If your class requires a book that can only be found in your bookstore, you really don't have many alternatives.

4. When Your Book is on Back-Order

This can be a real problem for some people, especially if your professor wants you to have your book on the first day. You did all that you were supposed to and yet, it still didn't work out.

5. When You See Your Total

Cringe. Maybe if we just don't look at it, it won't be so bad.

6. When You Realize You Never Used The Book

Ahh regrets. If only you could go back in time and tell your younger, more naïve self that you would never even open this book.

7. When You Sell Them For Almost Nothing

The money that you make off of selling your textbooks back is so small compared to what you spent on them. However, there's also no reason to keep them so you might as well go get that change.

In conclusion, textbooks are just another difficult factor in our college experience, but would we really have it any other way?

Lead Image Credit: NBC Universal Television Studios

Graysen Reid - University of Texas at Austin

Graysen is a freshman at the University of Texas at Austin majoring in Journalism. At her high school, she played softball and was on the Spelling and Vocabulary Team. She loves reading and watching Netflix. Follow her on Twitter @graysen_reid!