Display resume
by Graysen Reid

7 Ways to Simplify the Resume Process

By Graysen Reid - Jan 30 2018

The process of making your resume can be a little scary. Maybe you've never made a resume before or it's time to give your old one an update. Either way, this process doesn't have to be hard if you follow a few simple steps. Follow these, and you'll be on your way to scoring that perfect job in no time!

1. Take Your Time

If you have a lot of experience in extracurricular activities, jobs or volunteering, it can take a while to combine everything together into one list. However, if you space out the resume process a little bit at a time, you can make sure that you include everything and reduce stress.

2. Ask For Help

This step is extremely important especially if you are looking for a job or internship related to your major. Whether you talk to a professor, an advisor or just a friend, asking for help can only benefit you. Professors and advisors can offer specific advice about what you should include and how it should be worded. This will allow you to put your best foot forward.

3. Use Online Templates

Online resume templates often allow you to take a set of guidelines and formatting and put in your information to make it your own. This is especially helpful if you are making a resume that is specific to the job you are seeking. For example, a graphic designer might want a different layout than a business professional. Most of the time these are free and super easy to use. Just make sure to customize and make it your own.

4. Target Your Career

Your resume really needs to encompass and demonstrate the job you are applying for. You should include the special skills you have that are relevant to the job as well as use appropriate formatting as discussed above. This can always be altered for whatever job you decide to apply for in the future.

5. Include Important Information

This might sound might sound like a given, but it is surprising how often we can forget to include important information such as phone numbers or email addresses. Your future employer has to have a way to contact you so make it easy for them by including this at the top of the first page.

6. Proofread

Honestly, one of the worst possible things that you can do on your resume is have typos or errors. This shows employers that you aren't very careful with your work and you couldn't be bothered to take the time to read over what you have written. Just simply asking a friend to read over what you have included can help avoid errors.

7. Update As Needed

Once you have written your resume and it is current, your process in the future will be so much easier. For the most part, you should only have to include a few minor updates here and there. I would suggest updating your information as it changes so that you will always have a current copy if needed.

So while the process of writing your resume can seem like an extremely daunting task, it definitely doesn't have to be if you just follow a few easy steps. Pretty soon, you'll be on your way to acing your interview and landing your dream job!

Graysen Reid - University of Texas at Austin

Graysen is a freshman at the University of Texas at Austin majoring in Journalism. At her high school, she played softball and was on the Spelling and Vocabulary Team. She loves reading and watching Netflix. Follow her on Twitter @graysen_reid!