Display studying image
by Graysen Reid

6 Ways to Prepare for Finals

By Graysen Reid - Nov 28 2017

Now that Thanksgiving break is over, it's time to return to reality. We're so close to the end of the semester, but there is just one not so tiny thing standing in the way of freedom: finals. Whether you have exams or projects, these final grades can make a huge difference in your GPA, which is why they can be so intimidating. However, by studying the right way and preparing ahead of time, you can ace your finals and be well on your way to a much-deserved winter break.

1. Study now!

I'm sure that you have probably heard this tip all semester long, but it really is crucial to minimizing your stress during this time. By staying caught up on reading and studying as you go, you have less information to cram the night before. You can really make the most of your studying by preparing ahead of time and then reviewing right before the test.

2. Make a plan.

Organize the amount of time you plan to devote to each subject. This way, you will be able to manage your time more efficiently and keep yourself in check. Planning allows you to include time for each topic as well as time to relax and reduce stress.

3. Take time to de-stress.

Most colleges know that this can be an extremely stressful time for students, so they hold events and activities to provide a break from the monotony of studying. Even if your college doesn't hold these events, by exercising or hanging out with friends, you can still take your mind off of school.

4. Get rid of distractions.

While Twitter and Snapchat can be tempting, it is important to resist the urge and put down our phones. Distractions such as these can interrupt studying time and get you off track. There are even apps now that will disable sites for a set period time, helping you focus on the most important tasks.

5. Ask for help.

If you are struggling with a concept, it is extremely important to ask for help from your professor, a teaching assistant or a peer. Understanding problems from the beginning can eliminate issues in the future and ultimately lead to easier studying for you in the future. 

6. Sleep.

By prioritizing your time and planning ahead, your sleep schedule can remain unaffected by the onset of finals. By sacrificing sleep, you can actually hurt your grade more than help it. Your sleep schedule is crucial for performing your best, so keep it consistent!

While finals are a crucial part to your grade, they are not the end of the world. It is important to stay calm, plan ahead and take time for yourself. By doing this, you can ace your exams and have a perfect finish to your semester.

Graysen Reid - University of Texas at Austin

Graysen is a freshman at the University of Texas at Austin majoring in Journalism. At her high school, she played softball and was on the Spelling and Vocabulary Team. She loves reading and watching Netflix. Follow her on Twitter @graysen_reid!