College is different. For many students, college classes are unlike anything they've ever experienced before, which can be a little overwhelming. So, what can freshmen do to prepare for their first day of college classes? This list will provide incoming students with a few ways they can ensure success on day one.

1. Be Prepared

The night before your first day, pack your bag with anything you might need. While you might not do too much learning in your first class, you will probably still need at least a pen and paper to take a few notes. Don't show up to class empty-handed and pack your bag to avoid stress the next morning. 

2. Be Early

DO NOT show up late to class on the first day! Remember, this is the first impression your professor will have of you. If you are late the first day, this could damage your reputation before they even know your name. Set multiple alarms and plan for traffic, walking time and anything else you might need to account for. 

3. Meet New Friends

Once you get to class and find your seat, take note of the people sitting around you. Introduce yourself and get to know a little bit about them. It may seem a little awkward at first, but trust me, forming relationships with other students can help you later on. If you ever miss class or need a partner, the people around you are the ones you will need to talk to. 

4. Talk to Your Professor

After class is over, introduce yourself to your professor. This doesn't necessarily have to be done on the first class day, but it should be done within the first week. It doesn't have to be super long, just start with your name and tell them what interests you about the class. You can also ask any questions you might have. This shows them you are interested in them and their class.

5. Read Your Syllabus

Read your syllabus. As many times as you might hear this, don't ignore this simple but powerful piece of advice. Your syllabus is your handbook to finding success in each class. Highlight important dates, read about the grading policy and look at the required materials. Take advantage of this information and keep it somewhere you can easily find it. 

6. Don't Stress

Don't stress about your first day of college. Remember, there are tons of other students going through the exact same thing you are. Take a deep breath and slow down. The whole college experience can be overwhelming, but only if you let it. Take each step one at a time and don't get caught up in the details. 

Your first day of college will be absolutely fine. After all, it's only your first day and you are just taking the beginning steps of a long journey. Listen to the advice that others give you and take each day one at a time. Breathe, you will do great!