Display new years
by Graysen Reid

5 Ways to Keep Your New Year's Resolution

By Graysen Reid - Dec 31 2017

With the start of the New Year, we all have our resolutions and goals that we want to complete in 2018. It can be so easy to set your goals, follow them for a couple of weeks and then give up. However, this doesn't have to be you! With a little bit of planning, you can be sure to follow through with your resolutions and hopefully instill them into your daily routine. Hopefully, this time next year you will be able to look back on all you accomplished in 2018!

1. Write It Down

Writing down your goals is absolutely crucial to accomplishing them. Writing them down holds you accountable to whatever you have chosen to complete. After writing your resolution, make sure you put it in a place where you can see it everyday. Being constantly reminded will hopefully motivate you to work for it every day.

2. Set Reminders

Setting reminders in your phone is a great way to stay on track of your goals. Whether you want to exercise more or form better study habits, reminders will also hold you accountable for your goals. 

3. Plan Ahead

Setting your schedule around your goals will allow you to work with them instead of just working whenever it is convenient. If you want to eat healthier, take the time to prepare healthy meals ahead of time, instead of just grabbing whatever you can find. Planning ahead will always help you in the long run.

4. Tell Others

Telling friends and family about your goals is the absolute best way to hold yourself accountable for your actions. This way they can always ask you about your progress and it can serve as an additional reminder for you to stay on track. Additionally, you can also set goals together, allowing you to both benefit together!

5. Stay Positive

Staying positive is extremely important in keeping your resolutions. Often times it is easy to fall behind and just give up on your goals. However, even if you slip up, stick with it and get back into your routine. As the saying goes, "If you think you can't, then you're probably right," so keeping a positive mindset is essential to being your best.

These tips are just a few ways that you can keep those New Year's Resolutions, no matter what they are. Follow these and you'll be on your way to becoming your best self in 2018!

Graysen Reid - University of Texas at Austin

Graysen is a freshman at the University of Texas at Austin majoring in Journalism. At her high school, she played softball and was on the Spelling and Vocabulary Team. She loves reading and watching Netflix. Follow her on Twitter @graysen_reid!