by Graysen Reid

The 5 Best Places to Nap at UT Austin

By Graysen Reid - Feb 25 2018

College can be hard. Long nights of studying and all those adult responsibilities can take a toll on your much-needed rest and relaxation. Have you ever felt the need for a nap, but don't want to walk back to your dorm or apartment? Look no further! This list will tell you all the best places to nap at UT Austin, no matter what your noise preference is.

1. Perry-Castañeda Library (PCL)

The PCL is located on the corner of Speedway and 21st Street. This building is one of the best places to nap because it has designated quiet floors. On these floors, you can find a hidden couch or chair among the shelves and feel totally relaxed. The PCL is also located near Jester Dormitory, Gregory Gym and McCombs School of Business, making it easily accessible for your downtime between classes.

2. South Mall Lawn

Wikimedia Commons

Another popular nap spot is the South Mall Lawn. On a warm, Spring day, the South Mall Lawn can provide a peaceful, sunny afternoon perfect for you to lie down and catch up on your sleep. The South Mall Lawn also offers a view of the Main Building, with the famous tower, and the State Capitol Building farther south. While this area does get quite a bit of foot traffic when classes are switching, it is fairly quiet at other times.

3. The Union (UNB)

Wikimedia Commons

The Union Building is located to the west of the Main Building, between the Flawn Academic Center and the Drag. The Union is another great place to nap because of everything that it offers in addition to comfy couches and chairs. This building also features food options such as Panda Express, Chick-Fil-A and Starbucks. The Union can be a little louder depending on what floor you choose, but there are options for everyone.

4. Lyndon B. Johnson Library (LBJ)

Wikimedia Commons

The LBJ Presidential Library is a great resource to have on campus. While it is farther east of the main parts of campus, it is much quieter than other parts. This library offers a wide lawn and corridor next to the fountain. The fountain can also provide a nice, relaxing background noise for your nap time. This area also has trees and shade that are the best if the weather is warmer.

5. Student Services Building (SSB)

The Student Services Building is located in the northern part of campus next to Kinsolving dormitory. This building houses a wide variety of offices such as Financial Aid, the Counseling and Mental Health Center and a pharmacy. This is a great spot to nap not only because of its couches and chairs, but also because the fifth floor offers the MindBody Lab, a space specifically designed to help with relaxation, sleep issues and meditation.

These spots are just a few of the many options that are available to all UT Austin students. This list is a great start, but there are so many others all around campus just waiting for you to try them out!

Graysen Reid - University of Texas at Austin

Graysen is a freshman at the University of Texas at Austin majoring in Journalism. At her high school, she played softball and was on the Spelling and Vocabulary Team. She loves reading and watching Netflix. Follow her on Twitter @graysen_reid!