by Graysen Reid

10 Shows to Watch on Netflix Over Winter Break

By Graysen Reid - Dec 17 2017

As we close upon the end of the fall semester, there are so many things to look forward to over winter break. Even if you stay at school for the break, you can catch up on some much needed relaxation time. What better way to wind down than to watch your favorite series? If you're in need of a new series to binge-watch, look no further because this list has it all!

1.  Stranger Things

Combining sci-fi with drama, "Stranger Things" is sure to be at the top of your list for what to watch this year. The show currently has two seasons and features actors such as Winona Ryder, David Harbor and Millie Bobby Brown. The series focuses on the supernatural events that occur during the investigation of the disappearance of a young boy. The Netflix show has been renewed for a third season according to the creators of the series, the Duffer brothers.

Netflix

2. Riverdale

"Riverdale" is a two-season series that is all about drama and mystery. "Riverdale" focuses on the small town of Riverdale and all of the secrets it has to hide. Featuring actors such as KJ Appa, Lili Reinhart and Cole Sprouse, the teen-drama delves deep into the mystery surrounding it's characters. Season one can be found on Netflix and season two premiered on The CW on October 11, 2017.

CBS Television Studios

3. Last Chance U

For all the sports lovers out there, 'Last Chance U' is a must-see. The series focuses on the lives of the players and coaches at East Mississippi Community College (EMCC), a small school that is typically the last chance that players have to fulfill their dreams of college football. Each player has their own story and the series allows the viewers to watch as the characters develop over time. Currently, there are two seasons on Netflix that focus on EMCC.

Netflix

4. American Crime Story: The People v. OJ Simpson

"American Crime Story" is a series that focuses on famous crimes throughout history. The first season uses actors such as Sarah Paulson, Cuba Gooding Jr., John Travolta and David Schwimmer to portray the famous figures in the OJ Simpson case. The series was produced by Brad Falchuk and Ryan Murphy, the same producers of American Horror Story. While only the first season is on Netflix, season two will premiere January 17th on FX and will focus on the murder of Gianni Versace.

FX Productions

5.  The Carrie Diaries

If you've ever related to Carrie Bradshaw from "Sex and the City," you'll feel even more in touch with her younger self. "The Carrie Diaries" focuses on Carrie Bradshaw's teenage life before she moves to the big city. The series features actors such as AnnaSophia Robb, Austin Butler and Katie Findlay to portray a perfect teenage romance/comedy. The show was cancelled after two seasons, but both can be found on Netflix.

Warner Bros. Television

6. How to Get Away With Murder (HTGAWM)

HTGAWM was produced by Grey's Anatomy creator, Shonda Rhimes. The show follows the lives of five law students, their professor and the intertwined murder plot that the crew becomes entangled in. The series features actors such as Viola Davis, Billy Brown and Alfred Enoch. The first three seasons of the drama/mystery show can be found on Netflix while the fourth season currently airs on ABC. 

ABC Studios

7. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

"Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt" is a hilarious comedy show produced by Netflix that follows the life of Kimmy Schmidt, a young woman who was released from an underground bunker after she was captured by a Doomsday Cult. The show describes how much Kimmy has missed in the last fifteen years and the adjustments she must make to her new life. Produced by Tina Fey, the show currently has three seasons and features actors such as Ellie Kemper, Jane Krakowski and Tituss Burgess.

Netflix

8. A Series of Unfortunate Events

If you ever read this book series as a child, you have to watch the Netflix TV series. The show follows every novel and splits each into two episodes. Similar to the book, the show displays the lives of the Baudelaire orphans and Count Olaf's numerous attempts to steal their fortune. The series is adventure filled and, much like the book, offers comedic effects from Lemony Snicket himself. The show features Neil Patrick Harris, Patrick Warburton and Malina Weissman, and currently has one season on Netflix.

Netflix

9. The Good Place

"The Good Place" is a comedy show that features actors such as Kristen Bell, Ted Danson and Jameela Jamil. The series focuses on the main character's accidental placement in "The Good Place," and how she must improve her behavior to stay in the utopia. The first season is on Netflix and season two currently airs on NBC.

Universal Television

10.  Fuller House

A modern day continuation of the original show, "Full House," "Fuller House" focuses on the lives of DJ, Stephanie, Kimmy and their children. The show often features some of the same themes that were seen in "Full House" and original characters such as Uncle Jesse, Danny and Joey frequently make appearances. The show currently has three seasons on Netflix, with a new season being released on December 22nd. 

Netflix

These shows are the perfect way to relax and unwind over winter break. So settle down, grab some popcorn and start your marathon!

Graysen Reid - University of Texas at Austin

Graysen is a freshman at the University of Texas at Austin majoring in Journalism. At her high school, she played softball and was on the Spelling and Vocabulary Team. She loves reading and watching Netflix. Follow her on Twitter @graysen_reid!