Display helloquence 51716
by Gia Tims

4 Students Share Which Influential Person They Wish Could Write Their Letter of Rec

By Gia Tims - Mar 14 2017

Tis the season to apply to college, and everyone who is going through the process knows how crucial the recommendation letters are. Imagine if you could have anyone in the world write your letter, maybe someone like former first lady Michelle Obama.

That’s exactly who wrote Black-ish star Yara Shahidi’s recommendation letter. According to Vanity Fair, Shahidi revealed the news during an interview with W Magazine.

Fresh U reached out to high school seniors and college freshman to ask them if they could have anyone in the world write their recommendation letters, who they would choose and why.

Dominique W., Freshman, Occidental College

“I would want Maya Angelou to write my letter because she’s very inspiring with her words. Through her, I’ve learned many life lessons growing up. One that I’ve resonated with a lot is 'a wise woman wishes to be no one’s enemy; a wise woman refused to be anyone’s victim.' It reflects upon the fine line between confidence and arrogance…which would be a big part of what I would want colleges to know about me, especially through her words.”

Sabrina V., High School Senior, Decided Suffolk County Community College

“Stefani Germanotta because she is known for being strong and holding her ground when it comes to what she believes in. Despite what people think of her because of the way she dresses and makes statements, she’s a pretty incredible human being overall and deserves more credit than she gets.”

Abby C., Freshman, Hofstra University

“I would want a recommendation from Amy Poehler because she is a pioneer for women in comedy. Although I’m not studying comedy or looking to become a stand up comic, I feel that humor and wit is something I associate myself with and find best describes my personality. She would be a highly regarded recommendation while also adding some satire to the difficult college application process.”

Veronica M., High School Senior, Committed to University of Tampa

“I would want Sonia Sotomayor to write my letter because she is everything I would ever want to be. It makes me proud that she represents the Hispanic culture so amazingly and since I’m interested in law I really admire that side of her too.”

If you could go back and have anyone right your letter, who would you choose?

Lead Image Credit: Helloquence 

Gia Tims - Hofstra University

Gia Tims is a freshman at Hofstra University and is majoring in Journalism and in the process of adding Italian on as a second major. In high school, Gia wrote for her school paper and won numerous awards for her articles. Gia loves yoga, New York City, chai lattes, and Orange is the New Black. Follow her on Instagram @giatims!