Display mauro mora 85112
by Gia Tims

Someone Is Depositing Body Lice Across the UC Berkeley Campus

By Gia Tims - Feb 24 2017

An unidentified man has been reportedly disposing body lice in buildings across the UC Berkeley campus.

On Tuesday, The Daily Californian, Berkeley’s school paper, posted about the alarming incident, explaining that the man has been repeatedly leaving his body lice around campus.

According to The Daily Californian's report, the man repeated the same pattern of disposal everywhere he went, saying that he would bring paper towels and a garbage bin into bathroom stalls, then wipe off the body lice and dispose of the towels in the bin, leaving the live insects in the bathroom.

“My initial reaction to the incident was disgust and bewilderment,” said psychology major and Berkeley student Anjali Alamshaw.

According to SFGate, two emails were sent out to administration informing them of the man's behavior. The students were not contacted by the university directly about the situation. Berkeley student and business administration major, Anthony Sanchez, said that he “heard through word of mouth and [he] read an article from The Daily Californian” on the incident.

Despite the potential threat of contracting the body lice, students have not expressed much concern. Alina Das, intended Public Health major at Berkeley, said that she “[doesn’t] really think anything could’ve been done to prevent something like this from happening,” and that she is “not really doing anything about it” in regards to protecting herself.

The article published in The Daily Californian stated that the pest management team has been taking action regarding the insects and are responding to the concerns. 

Lead Image Credit: Mauro Mora

Gia Tims - Hofstra University

Gia Tims is a freshman at Hofstra University and is majoring in Journalism and in the process of adding Italian on as a second major. In high school, Gia wrote for her school paper and won numerous awards for her articles. Gia loves yoga, New York City, chai lattes, and Orange is the New Black. Follow her on Instagram @giatims!