Display eutah mizushima 26887
by Gia Tims

Here's What 5 College Women Think About This Game-Changing New Birth Control Law

By Gia Tims - Feb 22 2017

A new law passed in Virginia last Thursday allows women to pick up a full year’s supply of birth control in one visit to the pharmacy.

The Birth Control Access Act allows a year's worth of prescribed birth control packs to be picked up by a patient in one stop. Before this law, the highest amount of packs someone could pick up at once was a three month supply. Allowing to pick up for the entire year can prevent mishaps regarding birth control pick up and usage, and a woman can have all of her medication on hand when she needs it rather than having to carve out time every three months to renew her prescription with her doctor and go pick it up.

Fresh U reached out to college women and asked them to react to the new law in place.

1. Kamari Stewart, Pace University

“I think the idea is solid…Instead of having to go pick up a new prescription monthly, you can get a year’s worth at one time. As for drawbacks, the first one that comes to mind is price. I know for my insurance in particular, I have a copay for almost every prescription I get.for some insurances, the copay is higher than others and it may be hard to afford one month of birth control as opposed to an entire year…Another potential drawback I see is that if someone were to buy the birth control for the entire year and they…had to stop taking it, not only are they out of what it could have cost, they have to go find a new method.”

2. Kamrin Baker, University of Nebraska-Omaha

“I feel like that could be really beneficial for women! It’s a necessity for a lot of people, so it’s almost like buying pads and tampons in bulk. On the other hand, I can see that it might be something that you pick up and forget about.”

3. Melissa Cordell, UNC Chapel Hill

“I think it’s great that this is being offered. Obviously it won’t cover them for the whole Trump presidency if birth control and/or its affordability go out the door, but it’s a positive step. I actually got Nexplanon, which is supposed to cover me for up to four years, but there’s a different birth control for every woman."

4. Nadia Racaniello, Ithaca College

“I think that’s a great idea because a year technically is a long time, and if you’re in a sexual relationship or just having sex in general, it’s better to be prepared than to worry about becoming pregnant. Based on people’s health insurance, many women may not actually be able to afford a year’s worth of birth control, and although it’s a nice initiative, the pill isn’t always the best birth control for every single person using birth control. There are several other forms of contraceptive, but you can’t get them at a pharmacy.”

5. Taiyler Mitchell, Howard University

“I think that it’s an effective way to protect women from pregnancy. It makes things easier in the sense that a one time trip to the pharmacy is all you need. It’s a great idea to have while Trump is in office especially. A lot of us women are unsure what is going to happen to our right to birth control if and when Trump implements the repeal of Obamacare.”

This new bill could be the beginning of a new age for birth control access.

Lead Image Credit: Eutah Mizushima via Unsplash

Gia Tims - Hofstra University

Gia Tims is a freshman at Hofstra University and is majoring in Journalism and in the process of adding Italian on as a second major. In high school, Gia wrote for her school paper and won numerous awards for her articles. Gia loves yoga, New York City, chai lattes, and Orange is the New Black. Follow her on Instagram @giatims!