Display evsouv1eyxy rachael gorjestani
by Gia Tims

5 Healthy Snacks to Bring With You to Class

By Gia Tims - Feb 07 2017

Snacking always helps make lectures a little bit more bearable, so why not pick something healthy to satisfy your in-class cravings? (and don’t worry, these are class friendly bites! AKA not loud, crunchy, smelly stuff)

1. Pretzels and Hummus

This savory and satisfying choice is packed full of protein. Hummus is made out of chickpeas, which are high in protein and super delicious! Hummus is high in fat, but don't fret - it contains unsaturated fats that are good for your heart. Scoop a little bit of hummus into a travel container, grab some pretzels and you're good to go.

Sabra

2. Granola Bars

Granola bars are good snack for when you are trying to hold over your hunger during class, or if you don’t have time for breakfast before that 8am. Granola is filling and has a high content of vitamins and minerals, as well as being an amazing digestive aid. It also boosts your energy! However, try to opt out of the bars that have sugary additives and fake fruit, and go for a more natural or raw option such as KIND and Larabar.

Larabar

3.Clementines/ Mandarin Oranges/ Tangerines

Most people cannot tell these citrus fruits apart because they all look like baby oranges. Either way, they are super healthy and small enough to throw in your backpack or coat pocket on your way to class! Get your dose of vitamin C and satisfy your sweet tooth with these little guys. (just don't forget to bring a napkin with you to put on your desk)

Halos

4. Fresh Berries

This is another sweet tooth friendly yet health friendly snack option to tote along with you throughout the school day. Berries like strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries all have antioxidants in them and are packed with flavor. Rinse these babies off and throw them in a sandwich bag to snack on during the day.

Driscoll's

5. Fresh Edamame

Edamame are a delicious and refreshing thing to snack on in class, as well as being an awesome source of iron, calcium, and protein. For those who are unfamiliar with edamame, they are basically baby soybeans that have been harvested before having the chance to harden. There are a lot of ways to eat and prepare edamame (like the picture below, they can come frozen), but for the optimum class-snacking experience, buy them fresh in the pod and rinse them before eating. Then just throw them in a baggie or container and you’re on your way!

Nature's Classic

There you have it - five class-friendly snack choices to help keep you happy, healthy, and hopefully not too hungry. Remember to grab a water bottle with your snacks before heading off to class! Staying hydrated is just as important as snacking smart. Also be sure to check that none of your classmates have allergies to the foods you bring in. Here’s to a sensible start to the rest of spring semester!

Lead Image Credit: Rachael Gorjestani

Gia Tims - Hofstra University

Gia Tims is a freshman at Hofstra University and is majoring in Journalism and in the process of adding Italian on as a second major. In high school, Gia wrote for her school paper and won numerous awards for her articles. Gia loves yoga, New York City, chai lattes, and Orange is the New Black. Follow her on Instagram @giatims!