Display hrdvsypffas austin schmid
by Gia Tims

5 Ways to Keep Your Anxiety at Bay This Semester

By Gia Tims - Jan 12 2017

Stress and anxiety almost seem inevitable to some people at the beginning of the semester. Tackling these feelings will not only improve your grades and performance in class but will improve your life in general! Here's five tips and tricks to control and conquer your anxiety second semester.

1. Keep Your Living Space/Work Space Neat

This is the holy grail of all holy grails for anyone suffering from stress and anxiety. Making sure your living space and work space are clean and clear will help you focus more on what you need to get done, rather than making you feel like you are surrounded by messes upon messes. Having unorganized spaces also creates more stress on itself because it can be hard to find things, move things, place things or even do things. Keep it clean, kiddos.

2. Start Journaling

Having a journal to write down your feelings is a great way to externalize your stressful and anxious thoughts. You can write as frequently as you’d like and about whatever you’d like, whether it be poems, stories or excerpts from your day/week. Getting it all out on paper is always better than holding it in.

3. Get Some Exercise

Sitting in a desk for most of the week, in class and studying all adds up — it is not good for you, and it makes you feel sluggish. Moving your body and getting your blood flowing releases endorphins and makes you feel happier. You don’t have to run a marathon and be the fittest person on campus to get exercise. You can take a yoga class, a Zumba class, go outside and jump around with some friends, whatever really. Just. Get. Out. Of. Bed.

4. Get Your Salt Lamps Lit

Salt lamps are all the rage right now. Many people believe that the negative ions released into the atmosphere by the lamps can help decrease stress and anxiety through a whole bunch of science you can read about here. They are highly recommended by many users and they are just really cute. Light 'em up.

5. Take One Weekend a Month to Treat Yo-Self

Every month, take one weekend to do something you find fun and reward yourself. You are working really hard and you deserve some self-love! Go to the city or the mall or a concert or something that you would enjoy. Be your own best friend here!

So take some time to decompress and work on yourself this semester instead of breaking your back over schoolwork every day. In the end, nothing really matters if you aren’t prioritizing your mental health and happiness.

Lead Image Credit: Austin Schmid via Unsplash

Gia Tims - Hofstra University

Gia Tims is a freshman at Hofstra University and is majoring in Journalism and in the process of adding Italian on as a second major. In high school, Gia wrote for her school paper and won numerous awards for her articles. Gia loves yoga, New York City, chai lattes, and Orange is the New Black. Follow her on Instagram @giatims!