Display cassidy kelley 140787
by Georgia Merdinger

5 Ways to Stop Self-Sabotaging Behavior

By Georgia Merdinger - Jan 09 2018

“Behavior is said to be self-sabotaging when it creates problems and interferes with long-standing goals,” according to Self-sabotaging behavior is something many are familiar with (myself included). Here are some tips to help you break free from this detrimental mindset:

1. Say YES!

In order to stray from self-sabotaging habits, you need to start saying yes. It is really easy to reject opportunities that make us nervous, but if you consistently say no, your goals will not be met. By actively participating in new experiences it will allow you to meet new people, and can further a goal you’ve been aspiring to achieve. When you give yourself a little kick, it can help you in the long run.

2. Write down long-term goals.

What do you want to achieve? Write these goals down in a notebook, on a sticky note, anywhere. The next step is to write more in-depth: how will you achieve these goals? By writing down your desired accomplishments and how you're going to realize these goals, it will help you to stay accountable. Having a constant reminder of what you want to do will keep you in the right direction and may enlighten some self-confidence. 

3. Create a checklist.

We all procrastinate. Sometimes it seems inevitable, but in order to defeat it, you can create a daily checklist. This list can have detailed tasks you have to get done throughout the day. Remember to keep this list as realistic as possible, but still push yourself to get more done within the day. You’d be surprised how much you could actually manage. When you complete something, remember to give yourself some credit, and remind yourself you're taking a positive step towards your overall goal. 

4. Change your mindset.

Having a positive mindset is extremely important to combat self-sabotaging behavior. By changing negative thoughts into encouraging ones, it can completely alter the way you go by your day. This may be corny, but try to write down positive affirmations about yourself daily. These uplifting words will motivate you, and can slowly begin to change your overall mindset. 

5. Stay consistent.

Once you do all of these things, it’s important to not just quit after a week or two. Consistency is crucial when wanting to remove yourself from negative behavior. If you don’t want to revert back to old habits having your goals with you will keep you inspired. Remind yourself why you are working so hard, and give yourself the credit you deserve.

Remember that these small tips will make a significant difference in the long run.

Lead credit image: Unsplash 

Georgia Merdinger - Marymount Manhattan College