Why Are Salt Lamps The Hottest New Dorm Accessory?

By Fresh U Editors - Dec 12 2016

It's no secret that college students are constantly stressed out and tired. From adjusting to a new place, to mid-terms and finals (and somehow fitting in a social life), college is a non-stop lesson in time and stress management. Because of this, some students are turning to alternative means of relaxation and wellness: Salt Lamps

A quick Google search of "What are salt lamps" will bring you to a number of natural wellness pages explaining the benefits of salt lamps. Natural Living Ideas lists some of the benefits as cleansing and deodorizing the air, eases coughing, increases energy levels (but helps you sleep better), and improves mood and concentration. Critical Cactus gives a much more critical review of salt lamps, going through the claims that salt lamps can purify air, raise energy levels, and increase concentration. In short, there are positive benefits tied to salt lamps, but there isn't actual science that can prove it just yet. For more information on the actual science (or lack thereof) of salt lamps, check out this video:

That being said, salt lamps look really cool. 

While the science behind salt lamps is murky, there's something to be said for a lamp that can at least make you feel more calm and relaxed, even if that's from a placebo effect

So if you're looking to add something cool to your dorm room, why not try out a pink salt lamp? If there's anything that can make you less stressed about your paper due at midnight, it's probably worth a try. Check out these options from Amazon:

Amazon

Himalayan Glow Hand Carved Natural Crystal Himalayan Salt Lamp With Genuine Wood Base, Bulb And On and Off Switch 6 to 8 Inch, 6 to 7 lbs. 2 PACK

Amazon

Natural Himalayan Rock Salt Lamp 6-7 lbs with Wood Base, Electric Wire & Bulb

Amazon

Mini Hand Carved Natural Crystal Himalayan Salt Lamp night light

Lead Image Credit: Instagram: Kamstagrams