When Does the 2018-2019 FAFSA Become Available?

By Fresh U Editors - Oct 01 2017

While it might seem a bit early to start thinking about the 2018-2019 school year, it's not. At least when it comes to the FAFSA, which stands for the Free Application For Federal Student Aid. The FAFSA for the 2018-2019 school year becomes available to fill out on October 1, 2017. 

We all love to procrastinate, but what are some reasons you should get on top of filling out your FAFSA early? 

Explained in another Fresh U article, "What You Need to Know About Paying for College,some federal programs have limited funding, so procrastinating on filling out the FAFSA could literally cost you. Waiting until you get into the school of your dreams might prevent you from getting a higher amount of funding. 

Additionally, you should make sure you fill out the FAFSA even if you think you won't be eligible for any aid. FAFSA states on its website that most students are eligible to receive some aid, and that while income is considered, it is not automatically disqualifying. So even if your parents have a relatively high income, you should 100% still apply through FAFSA's website. 

The 2018 school year seems far away, but it's definitely not too early to get ahead financially. Go to the FAFSA website and start filling out your application today!