5 Ways to Watch Your Favorite TV Shows and Movies in a Dorm

By Fresh U Editors - Nov 20 2017

Whether you're addicted to Stranger Things, How to Get Away with Murder, or Riverdale, it can be hard to keep up with your favorite TV shows as a busy college student. While you can always open up your laptop and catch up on a few episodes, trying to watch your favorite shows (or movie) with a bigger group can be a challenge. Even if you have a TV in your dorm, it can be difficult to set up the proper tech to stream TV or movies to a bigger screen, and you're definitely not going to install cable TV in your dorm room. That being said, we've rounded up a few cost-effective and easy ways to take your viewing experience off of your laptop and onto the (slightly) big screen. 

If You Have a TV in Your Dorm Room 

If you have your own TV in your dorm, you might have figured out how to hook it up to cable or connect it to your laptop with an HDMI cord. But there are a few options to watch your favorite shows without having to connect from your laptop. 

Amazon Firestick

Price: $39.00

Plug it into your TV and have access to Hulu, HBO Go, Amazon shows, YouTube, among other channels. It's also Alexa-enabled, so you can talk to your remote! Get it here

Google Chromecast

Price: $35.49

Plug it into your TV, complete the set up, and have access to Hulu, Netflix, YouTube and more. Get it here. 

Apple TV

Price: $179 and up. 

Connect to an existing TV and stream movies and TV shows through services like Hulu and Netflix, and also watch live shows. Get it here. 

If There's a TV in your Dorm Building

An HDMI Cable

Price: $11.99

You might not have your own TV, but you can connect your laptop to a TV in a common area or your friend's dorm with this 6 foot HDMI cable, which will allow your screen to show up on the TV screen. Get it here

If You Don't Have Access to a TV

A Projector

Price: $99.49

A bit on the pricier side, this can work if you have access to a large blank wall inside or outside. It connects with an HDMI cable, so you can from stream your laptop. It might not be the most practical choice, but it's ideal if you want to turn your dorm room into a mini movie theater. Get it here. 

While your laptop might be your go-to choice when it comes to watching movies in your dorm, having a bigger screen might make those all-floor watch parties a little bit simpler. 

As part of Amazon's Affiliate program, Fresh U may receive a small portion of sales resulting from this article.