29 Tweets That Capture The Reality of Police Brutality and Being Black In America

By Fresh U Editors - Jul 07 2016

On July 5, Alton Sterling – a 37-year-old black man – was shot and killed by police for selling CDs in Baton Rouge, LA. On July 6, Philando Castile – a 32-year-old black man – was shot and killed by a police officer in Falcon Heights, MN, during a routine traffic stop while reaching for his drivers license, after he had informed the police officer that he had a gun that was licensed under concealed carry. Both shootings were captured on video – one on a cell-phone video, and the other in a harrowing Facebook live video taken by Castile's girlfriend, Diamond 'Lavish' Reynolds.

Both incidents have renewed the justified outrage over black men being murdered by police, especially given the fact that police officers are rarely charged for on-duty shootings.   

It's extremely important to be informed.  Because of that, we've rounded up some of the most compelling tweets that illustrate America's problem with police brutality and the reality of being black in America. Read and retweet.

On "The Don't Resist Arrest and You'll Be Fine" Argument And Other Justifications

On The Hypocrisy of the 2nd Amendment and Concealed Carry Proponents

On the Contrast Between How White and Black People Are Treated By Law Enforcement

On the Media's Role In Perpetuating Harmful Narratives

On the Lack of Humanity From Cops

On Being Killed Simply for Existing

On The Reality of Being Black In America

Lead Image Credit: Twitter