Display trumptapes1

20 Tweets In Response To Trump's Horrific Comments About Women You Need to Read

By Fresh U Editors - Oct 08 2016

Audio and video of Trump making extremely lewd and graphic comments about women surfaced on Friday. In it, Trump can be heard talking with then-host of Access Hollywood Billy Bush about how he can do whatever he wants with women because he's famous. Among the remarks were "grab her by the pussy," kissing women without their permission and comments about hitting on married women.  

While Trump is no stranger to controversial (i.e. sexist and racist) remarks, this leaked audio has seemed to cause an even bigger uproar than any of Trump's other comments, prompting him to offer an extremely rare "apology." 

A number of Republicans have denounced Trump's remarks, some going as far to un-endorse him or announce they will not vote for him in the upcoming election. 

Others, such as Speaker of the House Paul Ryan and Trump's VP running mate Mike Pence, have released statements saying they cannot excuse his comments, but have not yet pulled their support. 

Politics aside, Trump's comments are a prime example of rape culture and the entitlement that comes with toxic masculinity. The comments would be sickening and inexcusable coming from anyone – from a presidential nominee, they are unthinkable and horrific. With some coming to his defense saying it's "locker room talk," and giving the "boys will be boys" excuse, those on Twitter have generated important conversation about the language used in Trump's defense and even in the language used to denounce his remarks. As sexual assault is an unfortunately prevalent issue on college campuses – college freshmen are more likely to be assaulted their first six weeks at school, and 1 in 5 college women report being sexually assaulted – it's important for college students to be part of these conversations. Fresh U rounded up some of the most compelling – and damning tweets – on Trump's remarks and the reactions surrounding it. 

On the "This is terrible because I have female relatives" comments:

On the "boys will be boys" and "locker room talk" excuses:

On Trump and rape culture:

And finally, this thread started in response to Trump's comment. The thread, started by author Kelly Oxford, asks women to share the first time they were sexually assaulted. Thousands of women have responded, and it's a sobering reminder of how normalized rape culture has become. 

Read through all of the responses. Then make sure you're registered to vote.  The election is one month away and it's on us to choose what kind of person we want to lead our country.

Lead Image Credit: Gage Skidmore via Flickr Creative Commons