Display disneydrawinglead

This High School Student Made Snapchat Drawings Of Disney Movies And It's Amazing

By Fresh U Editors - Nov 23 2016

The bar for Snapchat drawing has officially been raised.

Ivan Kao, a junior at San Leandro High School in California, took Snapchat art to a whole new world with these Snapchat drawings of Disney movies. His epic drawings have gone completely viral, garnering over 112,000 retweets at the time of publishing. And when you watch the whole video, it's easy to see why.

The video includes depictions of Disney classics Pocahantas, Tangled, Mulan, Beauty and the Beast, Frozen, Aladdin, Peter Pan, The Lion King, Sleeping Beauty, Up, Tarzan, Bambi, and Mary Poppins. 

@ivanmoomoo

Fresh U reached out to Ivan over Twitter direct message to find out more about this Snapchat masterpiece. He said he got the idea while looking at the new Snapchat filters – "They just automatically reminded me of Disney movies and their iconic scenes such as 'Colors of the Wind' from 'Pocahontas,' " Ivan said. 

It took him four hours altogether and he stayed up until 3 a.m. putting it all together. And clearly the work paid off, as tweet went viral and the internet became understandably obsessed with the video.

"I was extremely shocked by how viral it went, and how it is still going on," Ivan said to Fresh U. "I never experienced anything like that. When I made it I thought a few people would enjoy it, I had no idea it would blow up like that."

But going viral on Twitter has a dark side. 

Within 24 hours, Ivan's original art had been ripped off by Twitter parody accounts that had posted the video with no credit. 

One Instagram account – which is also verified – even watermarked the art, despite the fact that it clearly wasn't their original work. 

While Instagram, Twitter and Facebook accounts stealing jokes and content is nothing new, it's a shame that it comes at the expense of hours of original work. 

"It's a bit irritating how many other social media accounts have been stealing my video without giving me credits, but at the same time it is an honor," Ivan said. "The accounts usually only steal things they feel would be worthy and go viral for themselves so it was nice knowing my work was 'worthy' enough for them to steal."

But the tweet-stealing definitely hasn't discouraged Ivan from a potential art career. He dreams of being an animator, especially for Disney. 

"Working for Disney would be a dream come true, especially since I'm such a huge Disney fanatic. I've just been drawing and doodling all my life. I've won a few art competitions here and there, but nothing big," Ivan said. "Drawing was just a passion I was born with since I was a kid. Literally all I did as a kid was draw Disney nonstop. However nowadays as I'm extremely busy in my high school years it's harder for me to find free time to relax and draw."

And out of all the Disney characters and movies, which is his favorite? 

"Choosing my Disney movie or character would be a difficult thing to do since I've been such a huge fan, ever since I was a kid. My favorite would definitely be the Lion King. Nothing could ever top that. I watched it at least once a week when I was a kid. That movie would probably be the movie I've watched the most times in my whole life. The whole animation, storyline, especially the soundtrack is definitely one of Disney's bests in my opinion. Because it was basically my childhood it's just full of nostalgia and memories now whenever I think back about it. Now that I'm older I actually understand the true meaning behind the movie, and I find it really motivating and inspirational as cheesy and corny as I sound. 
My favorite character would either be Hercules because the fact how he went from the lowest of lows to the very top helps me even today. His story really motivates me to keep working harder hoping I'll get to where I want to be someday. My other favorite character would be Peter Pan. Just the fact that he never grows up and lives in an imaginary world called Neverland makes me feel like a kid again. Honestly, now as I grow older I realized why he never wanted to grow up, and I wish I could do the same."

Make sure to follow Ivan on Instagram (@ivanstagram_) and Twitter (@Ivanmoomoo) and share the following video to support this aspiring artist!

Lead Image Credit: @Ivanmoomoo