Display denidedmon

This High School Senior Has Already Received A College Degree

By Fresh U Editors - May 06 2016

Deni Dedmon – who also recently became a writer for Fresh U – received an Associate’s degree from Darton State College in Albany, GA before graduating from Westover Comprehensive High School where she's a senior.

Her sophomore year in high school, Deni heard about a program where she could enroll in college classes for free, and it would count for both college and high school credit. So she took the ACT, applied to Darton, and began taking her classes there when she was admitted.

In addition to taking a college course load, Deni was co-editor of her school’s literary yearbook, president of the drama club, a member of student council, and senior class secretary. She spent her senior year juggling a full load of classes, directing the fall play, being in charge of over 60 yearbook pages, and completing college and scholarship applications. 

"It was tough, but it really helped me with time management and staying organized,” she told Fresh U.

Now, Deni will be attending Howard University – her top choice – in the fall, majoring in print journalism, but planning to go to law school afterwards.

Deni Dedmon

Of the positive attention she's receiving for her tweet, Deni – who is also the oldest of five girls – said, "It makes me feel really good, mainly because it helps me inspire other black kids to really care about their education and pursue their dreams. One of my main goals in life is to help motivate kids, especially black girls like my little sisters. I think it's great that I can set an example for others.”

Congratulations to Deni on all of her amazing accomplishments! 

Lead Image Credit: Deni Dedmon

Want more from Fresh U? Like us on Facebook!