Display friendshipgoals

This College Student Traded Pants to Help His Friend And Is The Definition of Friendship Goals

By Fresh U Editors - Sep 30 2016

This college student just raised the bar when it comes to friendship:

Andrew Nguyen, a freshman nursing major at University of Texas at Arlington, tweeted a picture of himself explaining how he ended up wearing booty shorts in the bathroom for 50 minutes. The tweet – which has gotten nearly 140,000 retweets and over 350,000 favorites – explains that one of his friends needed sweatpants to enter a lab. And like any true friend, Andrew let her borrow his pants. 

Andrew told Fresh U over Twitter direct message that due to safety precautions, his friend couldn't enter the lab without long pants and closed toe shoes. Because his friend was studying for her test up until class time, she forgot she was wearing shorts and therefore wouldn't be able to enter the lab to take her quiz. Andrew said that despite asking around if anyone had extra pants, no one had any. So Andrew stepped up and let his friend borrow his pants so she could take her quiz. 

With the tweet going viral, Twitter users – including Steve Harvey – have pointed out just how great of a friend Andrew is: 

As his tweet gained more and more retweets, local news stories and larger media outlets – like Buzzfeed – reported on Andrew's hilarious and amazing act of friendship.

"For it going viral, it was definitely surprising and shocking for me because I have friends from out of state texting me saying they see me on social media and TV," Andrew told Fresh U. 

At the end of the day, this is a story about friendship. Fresh U asked Andrew about the importance of being there for your friends, and this is what he had to say:

"I think it's important to go the extra mile for your friends because I just feel like that's the meaning of friendship – to take the extra step to help a friend in need. Well that's how I grew up and how I was taught by family to help a friend or even a stranger in need. Although, I do admit it would be pretty awkward if I did this and switched pants for a stranger."

Lead Image Credit: Twitter