Rihanna Wants To Help You Pay For College

By Fresh U Editors - May 09 2016

According to USA Today, Rihanna has announced a new scholarship program through her Clara Lionel Foundation, which will grant scholarships to U.S. and international students going to school in the U.S. According to the Clara Lionel Foundation website, Rihanna founded the organization in 2012 and "continues to leverage her worldwide fame and influence to address a diverse group of global issues."

“To be able to give the gift of an education is actually an honor,” Rihanna said, according to USA Today. “Higher education will help provide perspective, opportunities and learning to a group of kids who really deserve it. I am thrilled to be able to do this.”

The scholarship is need-based, and the number of students who receive it will vary. But the scholarship amounts will range from $5,000 to $50,000 and is renewable for three years, or until a Bachelor degree is earned. Applicants must be residents of Barbados, Brazil, Cuba, Haiti, Guyana, Jamaica, or the U.S. and have been accepted into an accredited four-year university for the 2016-2017 school year. 

The applications for the scholarship are open until June 10, 2016 and the winners will be announced by August 2016. You can apply for the scholarship here, and find out more about the Clara Lionel Foundation from this video, which features Rihanna. 

Lead Image Credit: Youtube/Clara Lionel Foundation