Display walkthemoon

10 Bands That Got Their Start In College

By Fresh U Editors - Jan 08 2016

1. Coldplay - University College of London

Coldplay began their career by paying their dues in the college rock scene after they met in 1998 in London. I think we are all glad Coldplay decided to make music for a living; rather than Chris Martin using his honors degree in Greek and Latin.

2. Vampire Weekend - Colombia University

This band formed while studying at Columbia University in Manhattan. Their first gig was at Columbia's "battle of the bands" 

3. The Strokes - New York University's Tisch School of the Arts

The Strokes formed in NYC after Albert Hammond, Jr. moved there in order to attend NYU's Tisch School of the Arts. He and his roommate, Julian Casablancas started performing shows in and around Manhattan and soon formed the band we know today. Other members of the band began playing together while in prep school, but did not form properly into "The Strokes" until college when they met Hammond.

4. 3OH!3 - UC Boulder

This duo met at UC Boulder and started performing music together. Both had GPA's just shy of a 4.0! The band is named after the Boulder, CO area code: "303."

5. Passion Pit - Emerson College & Berklee College of Music

Passion Pit formed in 2007 in a dorm room of one of the original members. While in college, Michael Angelakos began writing songs to his girlfriend for a Valentine's Day present. When Angelakos shared these tracks with some friends at Berklee College of Music, the band Passion Pit was formed and more than just his girlfriend had the pleasure of listening to these songs.

6. Jukebox the Ghost - George Washington University

Originally, the band formed by Ben Thornewill, Tommy Siegel and Jesse Kristin was known as "The Sunday Mail." The members began playing together as students, but after graduation, revamped their sound and band image. With their new material came a new band name: Jukebox The Ghost.

7. Walk the Moon - Kenyon College

Lead singer, Nicholas Petricca, started Walk the Moon in 2008 while a student at Kenyon College with the original members, some of whom are no longer a part of the band. After graduation, the band reached its current and final form and began playing the Cincinnati, OH music scene. They quickly garnered success after their single, "Anna Sun," debuted. The song title was based on a girl they met while students at Kenyon. 

8. Ra Ra Riot - Syracuse University

Indie-rock group Ra Ra Riot began their careers playing basement parties at Syracuse University. Before moving to Brooklyn, New York, the band grew by playing on-campus venues and gaining much notoriety on the college scene.

9. Alt-J - Leeds University

This English band made good use of the dorm space, much like many other college bands. The band formed formally during their sophomore year at Leeds when vocalist, Gus Unger-Hamilton, came up with some tracks and shared them with his friends and now bandmates. 

10. R. E. M. - University of Georgia

In 1980, the members of R.E.M. met at a record store in Athens, GA where they began to garner success at their University and around the college radio scene.

lead image: ticketmaster