A Teen Girl Was Kicked Out Of Prom For Wearing A Suit

By Fresh U Editors - May 09 2016

Another day, another high school discriminating against its students. 

Aniya Wolfe was not allowed to attend her prom at Bishop McDevitt High School because she decided to defy her school's dress code and wear a suit, according to the NY Daily News. The dress code, which the school had sent out in February, specifies that girls must wear formal dresses, and students who don't follow the dress code would not be admitted to prom. Most of us can agree that the dress code is extremely problematic and excludes those who who don't feel comfortable or don't want to wear dresses. 

Aniya is a lesbian student who has always worn men's clothing, so she decided to attend prom in what would make her feel the most comfortable and allow her to enjoy her night. 

However as soon as she showed up, she was pulled aside by the principal who threatened to call the police if she didn't leave. Aniya left prom, but told ABC27 that while she feels accepted by her fellow students, her high school made her feel like a "mistake." 

In a statement, Bishop McDevitt High School said they weren't targeting Aniya, they were just following policy:

“Bishop McDevitt will continue to practice acceptance and love for all our students. We simply ask that they follow the rules that we have put into place.”

Hopefully high schools will start changing their rules to reflect who their students are, and not who they think they should be. 

Lead Image Credit: WHTM