9 Annoying Neighbors You'll Meet in Your Dorm

By Fresh U Editors - Mar 06 2017

Dorm life can be a huge adjustment — not only are you getting used to living away from home, you're thrown into a living environment with people who are in exactly the same situation as you. Some of those people may become your best friends, but others will quickly become the bane of your existence. Here are just a few of the annoying neighbors you'll run into in college.

1. The person who plays loud music at all hours.

It doesn't matter if it's three in the morning on a Tuesday: this person has their speakers at full blast and wants to convert the entire floor to their music tastes.

2. The chimney.

This person smokes tobacco, weed and who-knows-what-else almost daily. The smell sticks around for weeks and it's constantly giving you a headache.

3. The loud couple.

These two don't seem to understand that the entire floor can hear everything they're doing. Earplugs, anyone?

4. The person who thinks everything is a disturbance.

Noise can be a problem in any college dorm, but there are people who are bothered by even the slightest sound and are constantly knocking on people's doors and asking them to be quiet, when the situation simply doesn't call for it.

5. The person who makes smelly food in the microwave.

There is a special kind of hatred reserved for the person who burns popcorn and makes the fire alarms go off, or the person who microwaves something that stinks up the entire floor.

6. The person who makes a mess in the bathroom.

You would have thought that full-grown adults would know how to take their hair out of the drain and flush the toilet. Somehow, that's not the case.

7. The person who makes a mess in the kitchen.

Similarly, you would expect full-grown adults to wash their dirty dishes and remove them instead of letting them sit in the sink. Letting food sit out on the counter is guaranteed to attract bugs and rodents.

8. The furniture-mover.

Why does this person think it's a good idea to move their desk, their dresser, their bed and sixteen elephants across their room at two in the morning? There are two months left of the school year; let it go.

9. The at-home fitness fan.

Fitness is great. Exercise is important. That doesn't mean that you need to do an entire cardio workout, complete with jumping and stomping, when some poor soul is trying to study directly below you.

At the end of the day, living in a dorm is all about compromise. Most people will adjust their behavior if you tell them that they're bothering you, but for those who don't, take comfort in the knowledge that there isn't much time left in the school year and everyone is going to move out soon.