Display woman typing writing windows

7 Thoughts You Have While Registering for Classes

By Fresh U Editors - Mar 21 2017

Registering for classes is a nerve-wracking experience, especially for freshmen; since we register last, there's a high chance we won't get into the classes we want. Here are just a few thoughts every student has while registering for classes.

1. Does my wifi work?

Even if you've double-checked your connection six times, there's still a moment of panic in the few minutes before registration opens. You definitely have a good connection, right?

2. I have all the right class codes, right?

You've spent hours perfecting your schedule and making sure that you have the right codes to enter for each class... but you're going to check once again that everything is correct.

3. IT'S OPEN.

There's an initial moment of panic as soon as course registration opens; even if you've done this before, you momentarily freeze and forget what you're supposed to do.

4. What if I don't get my classes?

As soon as you start registering, you begin to panic that you won't get into the classes you want — or need — for the upcoming semester. Will you be able to graduate on time? Will you complete all the classes you need for your major?

5. WHY IS MY WIFI DOWN?

Inevitably, your college's internet will crash at some point during registration: it's to be expected when hundreds (or thousands) of students are trying to use the same network at the exact same time. Your best bet in terms of avoiding this problem is to go somewhere off campus, such as a coffee shop or independent library, and use their internet during registration instead.

6. I didn't get into a class. What now?

If you don't get into one or more of the classes you wanted to take, you'll immediately start moving your schedule around and trying to find a replacement class that works. You can make this process a little less stressful by having some backup classes in mind before registration starts.

7. I'm planning better next time.

Regardless of what goes wrong during registration, you'll swear that you'll do everything differently next time. Maybe you will, but chances are, you'll do the exact same thing that you did this time.

Registration is stressful no matter what, but, hopefully, with a bit of preparation and a bit of pure luck, it'll go smoothly. Remember that no matter what goes wrong, there's always something you can do to fix it.