Display stephen bergin 214607

7 Mistakes Students Make When Choosing A College

By Fresh U Editors - Mar 07 2017

Choosing a college is a huge decision in the life of a student, and there are plenty of factors that go into making a choice like cost, location and available programs. Unfortunately, some students do make mistakes when choosing a college to attend. Here are just a few of them.

1. Caring only about cost.

Some colleges are willing to negotiate your financial aid package if you talk to them about your financial concerns. You should also consider other factors, like the quality of academic programs, when choosing, because you may be willing to pay a bit more depending on the quality of education available. Don’t focus just on the initial costs of your options when making a decision.

2. Going far away just to go far away.

Some students want to get as far away from home as possible when they go away to college. While it’s definitely possible to travel across the country for college and get a great education, definitely consider factors about a school other than location, otherwise you may end up at a college you hate.

3. Choosing a college close to home just to stay close to home.

It’s perfectly OK to want to stay close to your family while you’re in college, but make sure that you’re not choosing a school just because it’s close to home. Consider factors in addition to location.

4. Focusing only on your major.

It may be tempting to pick a college just because it has a good program for your intended major, but that’s completely subject to change after your freshman year. Make sure the college you pick is one that you enjoy for reasons other than its academic programs.

5. Giving in to legacy.

Some people may be happy at the college where their parents went, but don’t fall into the trap of choosing a college just because your parents went there and it’s convenient.

6. Following your best friend/significant other to college.

If you end up at college with your best friend or romantic partner, great. Choosing a college just to follow them, however, is a guarantee for trouble: you’ll end up at a school you may hate, and if you break up with your significant other or have a falling out with your best friend, you’ll be stuck with no reason to enjoy your college.

7. Not going on college tours.

Going on campus tours is one of the most surefire ways to determine if a college is right for you. Not going on them could lead to you picking a college whose environment you don’t fit in with at all.

If you’re in the midst of college decisions, hopefully this article will help you avoid making any of these mistakes. At the end of the day, choose the college that is best for you, and don’t let anyone pressure you into a decision.

Lead Image Credit: Stephen Bergin via Unsplash