by Florence O'Connor

6 Things That Helped My Transition to College

By Florence O'Connor - Dec 06 2017
Starting college is absolutely terrifying and no matter how strong you want to appear, there is absolutely no shame in relying on a couple of things/people to help make the transition a little easier. I really do not know what I would have done without these few things when I started my first year of school, so I wanted to share them in the hopes that they could help make at least one more person's transition a little bit more comfortable. 

1. My Parents 

My parents have been my biggest support system throughout my transition into college. Whether it is calling them crying at 3 a.m. or simply texting them to tell them I finally got a good grade on my paper; parents will always be there for you. This time is just as difficult for them, so make sure you keep the communication line open and I promise it will do nothing but benefit you. 

2. Siblings

Although they can be oh so annoying, your siblings truly know you on a level like no one else. Whether you have the sort of relationship where you have daily FaceTimes or just a pretty consistent Snapchat streak, your siblings show their love and support for you in the best ways. Even if it is simply tagging me in a silly, relatable meme, my siblings have been a key part in keeping me feeling sane throughout the crazy transition to college.  

3. Netflix

Netflix has truly been one the greatest comforts during the start of my first year at university. Sometimes, simply hearing the familiar theme tune to your favorite binge T.V. show is all you need to make you feel at home in a place that, lets be honest, doesn't always feel so homey. 

4. Home Friends

They were there with you when you got deferred, wait-listed, rejected and finally accepted to college, so what makes you think they will be any less of a support system once you actually start your freshman year? You may be spread out all over the country, but I promise that the bond you created throughout high school will last and even grow upon the move into the next phase of your life. Scheduled FaceTimes and Snapchat groups were my absolute savior the first month of school. 

5. Tea

Sad? Cold? Homesick? Stressed? A good cup of tea is truly all-healing. Tea became my security blanket the first few weeks of college. Whenever I was feeling even the slightest bit down, I would simply pull out my favorite tea bags and immediately feel more at ease. So go get yourself a kettle and maybe even befriend a British person. 

6. Cozy Blankets

Let's be real, your dorm bed will never be as comfortable as your bed at home; however, that doesn't mean you shouldn't try. Invest in a couple of super soft, cozy blankets and I promise you will not regret it. Nothing made me feel quite so happy as getting back after a long day of classes and getting all wrapped up in my huge blanket. If you close your eyes and try hard enough (and get a fluffy enough blanket) you might even be able to trick yourself into thinking you are back home in your bedroom. 

So don't forget to thank your family, text your best friends and purchase another packet of tea before starting next semester; you never know when you will need their support again. 

Florence O'Connor - New York University