Display teddy teddy bear association ill 42230
by Florence O'Connor

5 Ways to Motivate Yourself While You're Sick in College

By Florence O'Connor - Dec 06 2017

The temperature is dropping and it seems so is the general standard of health among those surrounding you. It is somewhat inevitable that you will get sick at least once in the upcoming weeks, and with finals fast approaching you can't let that hinder your success. Try and stay motivated through the rough patch with these suggestions. 

1. Caffeinated tea 

After your tall glass of water, vitamins and healthy breakfast make sure to make yourself a nice cup of caffeinated tea. Not only will this wake you up and give you energy for the day, but it will also soothe you and warm your achey body. Also, make sure to choose a type of tea you particularly love, or splurge on a fancy brand, to make it feel like a treat to give your illness a small silver lining. 

2. Get dressed in normal clothes.

I know all you want to do is throw on sweat pants and a your dad's old college sweatshirt, but try to actually get dressed in normal, regular people clothes. This small act will make you feel more put together and ready to take on the day. If you try and trick the rest of the world into thinking you are feeling 100 percent fine, then maybe your runny nose, sore throat and achy head will follow suit.

3. Reward yourself.

Make sure you reward yourself for pushing through and not letting your pesky little cold run your life – because we all know it so easily could. Treat yourself to a nice bubble bath and face mask or download your all-time favorite feel-good movie. These little moments will rejuvenate you for the next day of cold battling adventures and keep you motivated to do it all over again. 

4. Comfort foods

Let yourself get sucked into a plate of buttermilk pancakes or a chocolate cupcake. I know sugar isn't always the best idea when you are sick, but sometimes sugar really does help the medicine go down, especially if that medicine is gross grape-flavored cough syrup. 

5. Remind yourself it will pass.

Although they seem to come at the worst times and make you feel like your body hates you, colds are only temporary. You have had a million of them, and guess what? They always passed. Try to remember that on the days when you just want to curl up in bed and cry on the phone to your mom about how life hates you. 

I know they are horrible and annoying and gross ... but try not to let your cold win by following these few tips. 

Florence O'Connor - New York University