by Florence O'Connor

5 Ways to Battle Post-Holiday Blues

By Florence O'Connor - Jan 02 2018

The holidays have to be some of the most fun and festive times of the year. Not only are you back with your high school friends and your parents' homemade cooking, but you are also probably being showered with love and gifts. It is understandable that it can be hard to accept that the month dedicated to celebration has come to an end. However, with these few tips below, you will be out of your funk and ready to take on 2018 in no time. 

1. Get rid of your holiday decorations.

I know it can be hard to accept, but the holidays are in fact over, so make sure you house isn't stuck in December. Take down your tree, sweep up the left over glitter and put the menorah away. By clearing your environment of these decorations, both your physical space and your mental space will be cleared and ready to tackle a new year.  

2. De-clutter.

Why stop at just the holiday decorations? Use this new year as a chance to take a fresh new look at your home and your belongings. Sort through your closet, throw out the clothes you haven't worn since 2016 and finally sort out that mess under your bed. This will offer you a clean and organized start to your new year. Pro tip – this idea of leaving behind unnecessary things back in 2017 can also be applied to those few toxic people still in your life. 

3. Plan things for the new year.

The holidays are filled with festive parties and special dinners, but just because the holiday season is over it doesn't mean the fun has to stop. Plan special events and trips to take with your  friends, family or even to go on alone. Sprinkling a few little fun gatherings that you can look forward to throughout the year will help make 2018 seem less daunting. 

4. Make New Year's resolutions.

The days between Christmas and New Year's Eve are basically just repeat conversations of being asked what your New Years' resolutions are, while you sheepishly answer something along the lines of going to the gym and being a happier person. Although those are both great resolutions, try and physically write down a few personal goals that you actually want to achieve and that you actually think are possible.  

5. Follow through with your resolutions.

Don't wait to start you resolutions or you may never actually follow through. Go to the gym on January 1st (okay, maybe January 2nd for that one). The first week of the new year can set you off for a successful and prosperous year so make sure it counts. Make a time table of how and when you are going to succeed in all of your resolutions so you really feel proud of yourself and are excited to start 2018.  

The holidays may be over, but the fun doesn't have to be! But if you still aren't convinced, I promise stores will be putting out their Halloween decorations again before you know it. 

Florence O'Connor - New York University