I'm sure we've all heard it said: "You'll forget all about your high school friends once you get to college." Many high schoolers feel that they will finally make their real friends when they get to college — that all of their high school friends were just "convenience friends." While not everyone had great friendships in high school, often times people no longer keep in touch with their good friends from high school simply because they no longer see each other five days a week. 

It is important to make new friends once you go to college, but that doesn't mean you should stop talking to your old friends altogether. You've only known your college friends for about a year and sometimes when you're upset, you need to talk to someone who knows your past and has been through things with you. 

High school friends are no more "convenience friends" than your college friends are. All friendships stem out of convenience. That's what gives you the opportunity to know each other better. But that doesn't mean these "convenience" friendships aren't worthwhile.

If you're coming home for the summer, you should try to reconnect with some of your good friends from high school, even if you haven't talked to them in a while. Chances are they would love to see you, too. Still hanging out with old friends doesn't mean you're "stuck in high school" — it just means you refuse to let go of something special.

New friends are great, but old friends enhance your life in a different way than someone you just met. Don't let different schools ruin a great friendship. Call or text the people you used to hang out with. See if you can meet up, but don't only talk to them in the summer. Keep in touch with them as fall rolls around, too. 

College is a place to make new friends, not to replace old ones. Keeping in contact with your old friends does not hold you back from anything. In fact, it just increases the amount of friends you have in total. 

This advice can best be summed up in the simple lyrics of a girl scout song: "Make new friends, but keep the old, one is silver, and the other's gold." New friends and old friends are both valuable and they each bring something difference into your life. Just like precious metals, all types of friends should be cherished.