Display campus
by Evelyn Koch

What it's Like to Attend a School You Won't Be Returning To

By Evelyn Koch - Mar 20 2017

After visiting the University of Nebraska at Lincoln, I knew it was the place where I could get the best education for my major. It was where I should have gone in the first place, but I needed to learn more about myself before I could figure that out, and that's what freshman year is for.

Once spring break was over I headed back to Youngstown, Ohio for the rest of my spring semester. When I got there, everything seemed surreal. Finally knowing the direction I wanted to take my life in felt like a weight being lifted off my shoulders, but the moment was bittersweet. I knew I would likely never come back here. 

Suddenly, after you've committed to transfer, you start to realize everything you like about your current school: the flex dollars in your meal plan, the few friends you've made during your time there and the fact that it only takes 15 minutes to get across campus. Whatever it may be, this early onset nostalgia starts to make you feel uneasy about your decision. You begin to think that maybe it wasn't so bad at your old school.

Uncertainty may eat away at you, but I promise, you haven't made the wrong decision. This feeling is just a manifestation of your anxieties about change and having to start over again. The idea of transferring is scary, but you made that decision for a reason.

That being said, do try to enjoy your time at your current school. Make the most out of it in case you do never return. My decision to transfer has prompted me to do so many things at my current school that I would have never done otherwise. Transferring has given me a "now or never" approach to life at my current school. I've joined more clubs, and I even participated in and ended up winning my school's honors college talent show. If I had decided to stay at Youngstown, I would have never had the guts to do that and I would have always put it off for "next year". The fact that I knew there wasn't going to be a "next year" prompted me to sign up. 

Just because you may have some fun times at the school you'll soon be leaving doesn't mean you've made the wrong choice. It just means you're trying your best to enjoy college. Enjoy your limited time at your current school while you can. You don't want to have any regrets after you leave. 

Evelyn Koch - Youngstown State University

Evelyn will be a freshman this fall at Youngstown State University and she is currently undecided on a major. She loves wrtiting and musical theatre. You can follow her on twitter @_legallyginger