Display netflix1
by Erela Datuowei

9 Quick Netflix Binges for Your Study Breaks

By Erela Datuowei - Nov 05 2017
Before starting this extensive list, I would like to include a disclaimer because what is the definition of “short” in relation to a Netflix series? Does the possibility of binging two seasons in one day make it short? Regardless of your definition, here's a list of nine shows that will have you hooked and wishing you had more.

1. Stranger Things

Netflix

The highly anticipated second season of this show is here, and there is no better time to binge watch this retro throwback that features a couple of suburban kids thrust into a thrilling race against time and other-worldly abnormalities when a top-secret government experiment goes wrong. Not only does this show keep you entertained, it also gives insight into what people did before this thing called “the Internet.”

2. Black Mirror

Netflix

Black Mirror is the “Twilight Zone” of the future. Black Mirror features three stand-alone episodes per season and may very well be one of the darkest social commentaries I have ever watched. It's terrifying at times, hilarious during others and genius always. This show will keep you on the edge of your seat and hopefully get you thinking deeper about the society around you.

3. Master of None

Netflix

Written by and starring Aziz Ansari, this show is a critically-acclaimed observation that follows Dev (Ansari) as he goes through life. The most compelling thing about this show is that the characters are not caricatures. You come to see them as real people who experience life like the rest of us and attempt to grow from it. My advice is to be patient with this show because just like life, not every episode will compel you, but the ones that do make it worthwhile.

4. The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

Netflix

This is a comedy about the re-assimilation of Kimmy Schmidt, a teenager who was kidnapped and held in a bunker along with three other women and has finally been freed. She decides to take on New York City and the rest of the world in an effort to prove she has what it takes to be an adult on her own. A star-studded cast, featuring Ellie Kemper (Kimmy Schmidt), Tituss Burgess and Carol Kane, reenact the struggles of “adulting” in the Big Apple, complete with parodical musical numbers.

5. Chewing Gum

Netflix

This hilarious comedy follows Tracey, an oblivious Brit, living in the estates (the projects) with her uber religious mother and sister as she tries to lose her virginity. What could go wrong you ask? Everything. This show is a learning curve in self-worth and resilience when all the odds are against you. Plus, if you had a terrible first experience or are yet to have one, this will make you feel infinitely better.

6. Dear White People

Netflix

"Dear White People" is a socially conscious series about identity politics between black students and white students on a fictional college campus. This is one of the most controversial shows on Netflix to date, but it highlights and deconstructs numerous issues below the surface of racism including classism, sexism, discrimination and the fact that races of people aren't monoliths. I fully expected to dislike this show because I expected excessive generalizations and hasty characterizations, but I ended it pleasantly surprised and eagerly awaiting the next season. 

7. Friends From College

Netflix

This show is a comedy, a tragedy, a drama and a terrifyingly realistic description of what your life could be when you do everything wrong. This show is a cautionary tale for those who get stuck in life and never really move on. You might like this show, you might hate it, you might not understand it, but it will leave you hoping you and your friends from college don't end up that way. 

8. Boys Over Flowers

Korean Broadcasting Company

Due to the fact that K-dramas are growing in popularity along with other Korean-related genres, I think it's appropriate to include at least one in this list. This is a slightly more modern retelling of a Cinderella story where Geum Jan Di gets to attend an exclusive high school on scholarship and garners the attention of the richest squad on campus known as F4. There's a lot of romance, some comedy and tons of drama that will leave you wondering who gets the girl.

9. Mindhunter

Netflix

This psychological thriller follows the conception of criminal profiling at the FBI during the late 1970s. It is a chilling experience to watch FBI agents Holden Ford (Jonathan Groff) and Bill Tench (Holt McCallany) interview imprisoned serial killers to better understand their motivations in order to catch other killers. Hopefully, you can sleep at night after this, because I couldn't. 

So if you can't cram anymore facts and all the words on the page look the same, find your chill and take some time off to start a new Netflix adventure. Who knows, you might even learn a thing or two that your textbook doesn't teach you. 

Erela Datuowei - Brooklyn College

Incoming Freshman at CUNY Brooklyn College with a love for music and dogs.