Display red love heart valentines
by Emma Lamperti

7 Ways to Celebrate Valentine's Day While Single

By Emma Lamperti - Feb 01 2017

Valentine's Day is a holiday that most single people dread, but guess what — it doesn't have to be! I get it, sometimes it feels like everyone around you is in a relationship while you're just sitting home three seasons deep into Game of Thrones. Those depressing feelings can hit hard around Valentine's Day, but you don't have to be sad just because you don't have a significant other. There are so many ways to have fun and enjoy yourself around Valentine's Day no matter what your relationship status is, so here's a list of things to do if you are single like me:

1. Galentine's Day.

If you love the show Parks and Recreation like I do, you’ll understand this reference, but if not: Galentine’s Day is like Valentine’s Day, but just for you and all your best gal pals. It’s a day to treat each other (giving gifts is optional) while appreciating and empowering each other. Guys can also join the trend and have their own Galentine's Day — Guyentine's Day perhaps? 

2. Treat yo' self.

Yet another Parks and Rec reference, but honestly listen to Donna and Tom. You have been working so hard in college that treating yourself (without breaking the bank) is a great way to love and appreciate yourself around V-Day. 

3. Buy some flowers and chocolates.

Order come chocolate covered strawberries from Edible Arrangments or a pretty bouquet from a local florist, because you deserve it. 

4. Go on a date with yourself.

A great way to get to know yourself and promote self-love is to go on a date with the best person out there: you! You could go all out and get dinner and a movie, or stay in, order pizza and watch some quality Netflix. Either way, just taking a day and devoting it to yourself is guaranteed to make you feel awesome. Also, if going out really isn't your thing, you can take a day off and read, hike or do whatever you like to do. 

5. Make some DIY room decorations.

A great way to improve your mood or get excited about V-Day is to scroll through Pinterest and find some super cute DIY decorations for your dorm room or apartment. Something like this super cute DIY Heart Garland is a great way to make your room feel cute and cozy. 

Inspired to Share

6. Go on a date with someone else.

I know that this is an article about being single, but hey, what's wrong with just putting yourself out there and asking someone to hang out? You definitely do not need to date someone to save Valentine's Day, but you also may have a lot of fun hanging out with someone!

• 7. Have a Valentine's Day-themed movie night.

Invite all of your besties over and make sure you have plenty of candy, popcorn and pizza. Have a night dedicated to watching sappy but cute rom-comes that will make all of your friends laugh (and maybe cry just a little). Movie suggestions include, but are not limited to: Bridesmaids, The Proposal, 50 First Dates, Valentine's Day (I mean you kind of have to), She's the Man and Made of Honor. 

The thought of Valentine's Day can put a lot of pressure on a person, especially if you are single, but it is super important to remember that it really isn't something to stress about. Valentine's Day isn't just a day to remind your significant other that you care about them — it's also a day to remind yourself, your family and your friends that you care.  As long as you have fun, love yourself and remember that you are awesome, I guarantee that you will not just survive Valentine's Day, you will rock it! And trying out some of these fun ideas will also help, so definitely give them a go!

Emma Lamperti -

Emma is currently studying English and Elementary Education at The College of New Jersey. She loves listening to music and writing, either separately or together, and hope to write some interesting articles that help other struggling college students make it to graduation! Instagram & Twitter: @em_lamps