by Emma Lamperti

10 Things I Wish I Had Done Differently My First Semester of College

By Emma Lamperti - Jan 17 2017

My first semester of college went pretty smoothly if I do say so myself, but of course when I look back there are some things I wish I had done differently. Here is a list of ten of those things.

1. Studied more and watched less Netflix.

Honestly, pretty self explanatory, but I personally watched way too many episodes of The Walking Dead and The Office when I should have been studying for physics. Sometimes it is hard to tell yourself to put down your computer and pick up your textbook, but sometimes it needs to be done. 

2. Been more outgoing and less shy. 

I am a very shy person, until I become friends with you (because then I won’t stop talking), but I wish I had been a bit less shy during my first semester. I think it would have been really beneficial for me to have gone to more school events centered around meeting new people and introduced myself to more of my fellow classmates in order to be more outgoing and make new friends. 

Photo Credit: Pexels

3. Participated in more events that my school sponsored. 

I went to candle making and DIY mug marbling, but I also missed out on some other potentially fun activities because I was super lazy. 

Photo Credit: Pexels

4. Bought my textbooks from a cheaper alternative like Chegg instead of the school bookstore. 

When I think back on how much money I spent on book last semester I cringe; I honestly really wish I had shopped around more for better prices on way overpriced books. I highly recommend you check out Chegg and save as much money as you can because we are all #brokecollegestudents. 

Photo Credit: Pexels

5. Rationed my dining hall points so I wasn’t starving by the end of the semester. 

My school has two different parts to our meal plan: swipes (to get into the dining hall) and points (to use at various other — way better — dining options) so by the end of the semester I had no points left and was stuck eating the edible — but not very good — dining hall food.

(Me when I had points...)

(...vs. me at the end of the semester)

6. Not left my Tide Pods in my hamper while washing my clothes.

Because somebody stole them. Yeah. 

7. Gotten to know my professors on a more personal level.

My school has class sizes that are somewhat comparable to a high school-sized class, so it is very easy to get to know your professors and I wish I had taken more advantage of that opportunity. It is really important to get to know your professors if you can so I will definitely be doing that next semester. 

8. Gone to the library more often. 

I definitely should have taken more advantage of the great, and free, educational services offered through my school (like tutoring when I wasn't grasping certain concepts in physics) and spent more time in the library than I did because studies show that it is better to study in a spot outside of your dorm room. 

9. Procrastinated less. 

Totally cliché, but also totally true. While I didn't procrastinate as much as I could have, there were definitely some times where I was rushing to finish a paper that was due the next day. It is never fun to cram for a huge test or rush to finish a paper so I'm going to try to procrastinate less in the future. 

10. Explored the area around my campus more.

I wish I has ventured outside the confines of my campus more than I did because that is how you find new and fun things to do when you aren’t cramming for a huge exam. Some weekends I would feel a little bored just hanging in my dorm room, but if I explore more in the future I'll find things to do with my friends on weekends when we need things to do. 

While I did just share ten things to change or "fix" about my first semester, in reality I don't think I would change anything, because these mistakes leave room for me to improve as I grow as a person and student. So while I wish someone hadn't stolen my laundry detergent, now I know not to leave it in the laundry room unattended! 

Lead Image Credit: Emma Lamperti 

Emma Lamperti -

Emma is currently studying English and Elementary Education at The College of New Jersey. She loves listening to music and writing, either separately or together, and hope to write some interesting articles that help other struggling college students make it to graduation! Instagram & Twitter: @em_lamps