Display dontworry
by Emily McKeon

4 Students Share What It’s Like To Start the Semester After Everyone Else Does

By Emily McKeon - Sep 15 2017
Beginning freshman year of high school, students start the massive college preparation process: SAT test prep, careful course selection, advice from upperclassmen, among countless other steps. This humdrum continues throughout the school year as the ever-watchful eyes of the new kids on the block observe the actions of the seniors, the kings and queens of the hallways.

Suddenly, they have become the ones facing the inevitable end of an era and the anxious wait for an answer from their dream schools. Only when they receive those acceptances and after they have celebrated, one thing stands out in bold lettering: the move-in date. Does that say September?

It is something that is not heavily mentioned in college fairs and the bombardment of college emails and letters or postcards: when classes will begin. Think back to the list of important factors in selecting the schools to apply to. Was the move-in date considered?

Colleges such as Stanford University, Drexel University, the University of Chicago and the University of California system all have start dates that are considerably later than most colleges.

Fresh U asked four students facing this situation their honest thoughts and feelings.

1. Rebecca D., Savannah College of Art and Design

Class Start Date: Originally September 11th

"The original start date for SCAD was actually Sept. 11th and due to the magnitude of Irma we will not start for another week. We are not permitted to move in until Saturday now. I was nervous before the storm and now I am even more so. Especially since I've seen the impact of a hurricane with Sandy. The community is obviously going to be broken and going into that environment with my already nervous feelings is scaring me a little."

Wikimedia Commons

2. Victoria N., University of California, Irvine

Class Start Date: October 1st

"My summer vacation started on June 2nd, so by the time school starts I would have had four months of summer vacation... that's almost half a year. I desperately want this summer to end. I hate how unproductive I've become. I'm so bored to the point where I miss the feeling of overwhelming stress. Regardless, I am extremely excited for school to start! I know that next summer I'll definitely be taking summer classes because I can not go through another long unproductive summer like this."

Wikimedia Commons

3. Maddie S., Rutgers University

Class Start Date: September 6th

"So I went out of state for school, and once UMD moved in literally all my friends were gone. Also it's kinda annoying because our winter break is super short compared to others so we get out in May. On the other hand I got a ton of shifts at my summer job [because] all the other college students had left so that was good [and] I made a ton of money right before moving in [because] everyone had moved in already."

Wikimedia Commons

4. Cecilia C., Drexel University

Class Start Date: September 25th

"I'm kind of mixed on going to school late. I was, and am, very excited about having a longer summer. It was really nice to have another month of beach trips and working and spending time at home relaxing. At the same time though it got kind of hard the middle of August because my friends and cousins all left around the same time and then I was left for another month by myself. I barely have anyone to talk to or hang out with since everyone is away at college, so being home alone for four weeks wasn't always the best. I'm not too upset about going in late but it was hard not having anyone around for a few weeks while waiting. I'm still super excited about going to Drexel though!"

Wikimedia Commons

Despite public schools having varying start dates of mid-late August or the beginning of September, universities tend to vary despite different geographic regions. A university on the east coast can start at the same time as a college on the west coast. A student in Oregon can feel the same sadness of watching their best friends leave for college a month before them as a student in New York. So in a sense, these excited freshmen are united in their thoughts and feelings.

Emily McKeon - Drexel University

Emily is a freshman at Drexel University majoring in English. At her high school, she was heavily involved with the performing arts and wrote for the literary magazine. Emily loves writing, exploring the city, or playing piano. Follow her on Twitter @mckeon_emily!