Display audience crowd dancing 1449794  1
by Emily Mosher

10 Reasons To Stay Sober But Still Be a Party Animal

By Emily Mosher - Oct 18 2018

As you may have experienced in your first few weeks of college, people love to party. Whether you drank in high school or not, there will be opportunities for you to drink regardless of previous experience. This may make some uncomfortable. Personally, I don’t consume alcohol or party too often… anymore. I used to be out every weekend and a regular at parties. So I know both sides of the spectrum. Here are 10 reasons to stay sober and tips on how to still be a party animal.

1. Drunk people literally DGAF.

When people are drunk, they don’t care whatsoever. They’re so gone they probably won’t be able to tell if you’ve been drinking or not. This gives you some freedom because drunk people think everything’s funny. If you’re an introvert, this is a lot easier said than done. But just remember, no one will probably remember. Be yourself, be who you want to be and just focus on having a good time. Plus, it’s really good to be sober if the cops come around because you’re in the clear!

2. Alcohol is like…bad for you.

Alcohol really does a number on your liver and cognitive functions. It’s a depressant so that means it slows your functions down. This is why drunk people can have really bad reaction times. Also, your liver is a very important organ to survive. It filters the toxins out of your system. A beer a week won’t do too much, but 20 beers every weekend could really start adding up.

3. Alcohol makes people make bad decisions.

You hear about people texting their exes or waking up somewhere unfamiliar. These are, of course, bad decisions. Since you don’t really remember what you did the night before, you could’ve said things you regret, you may have done things you regret and you were too wasted in the moment to stop yourself.

4. Bad things can happen.

It’s never your fault if something bad happens to you when you’re drunk. Ever. Don’t get me wrong. But sobriety helps by keeping you alert and aware. This is also good if your friends are in trouble, you can keep watch over them, as well. After my assault, staying sober was something very important to me because of fear. Not saying this should stop you, but just something to think about.

5. No one will judge you.

If your friends are peer pressuring you to pound Four Lokos and get wasted, they aren’t people you probably want around anyway. No one is going to judge you for not drinking. It doesn’t make you uncool or a loser. It just means you aren’t comfortable with that and you don’t want to be in that position. Completely understandable. No one’s judging you, and if they are, tell them to go away!

6. If you’re underage, it’s illegal!

In all 50 states, unless you’re reading this outside of the USA, you must be 21+ to consume alcohol legally. This can get you in a lot of trouble if you’re drinking underage. If the police come or you’re spotted by the campus police, you can be in a lot of trouble and, not to mention, potentially get arrested.

7. Parties are kind of overrated.

The first few parties you go to are fun AF. Believe me. Freshman year, it’s a rush. Seeing all these people you don’t know, meeting a bunch of new faces, it’s fun. Interaction is human nature, after all. However, once you get to be around a second-semester sophomore or junior, it gets so DRY. You are in swarms and swarms of freshmen new to the party scene so they’re super annoying and loud. You already know the people there that are your age and you probably don’t like some of them. However, you know them all. This means no more new faces, unless you really want to be friends with the freshmen. This means no more rush of newness. Plus, once everyone gets past a certain level of wasted, it’s hard holding conversations anyways.

8. You represent things bigger than yourself.

If you’re part of a separate organization, you represent them, especially sports teams and clubs. Drinking isn’t something you’d want your coach or captain to see, so be cautious. If photos are taken and posted with you even in the near vicinity, you’re in danger of getting in trouble. Many student-athletes lose scholarships this way. Plus, you’re representing your college! I don’t think they would take too kindly to seeing that either.

9. Embarrassment is a thing.

The many Snapchat story videos I’ve seen of drunk people throwing up, peeing themselves, yelling cringey sh*t at parties… all-time high. Don’t be that person that everyone’s talking about on Monday. Keep it classy and don’t throw up all over yourself and be the laugh of the party. Just stay sober and keep it 100.

10. You’ll be the ultimate BP hero!

Beer pong is a classic game that is still ragingly popular on campuses. If you’re sober, your motor skills are still all there. That means no woozy, double vision. That means you can hit a little cup with a ping pong ball an average of 7/10 times. You could come in clutch and win tons of games! Drunk people get overly excited at this game, as if they’re playing in the Super Bowl or something. You can reign superior over everyone at beer pong and have a reputation on campus as a total hero.

Drinking in college is a part of the culture. That being said, there are plenty of people that don’t do it. You don’t have to do it, at all. You can be you and still have fun at parties. Try new things. Become more outgoing. Go out without a drink in your system and see how it feels. If you hate it, drink next time. I don’t care what you do! I'm just sharing some experiences I’ve had and hope you can take them to heart and relate a little bit. 

Emily Mosher - Knox College

I am a student at a small liberal-arts college in Illinois. I am the sports editor for the campus paper, on the volleyball team, equestrian team and in Tri Delta. I am majoring in social media marketing and minoring in journalism.