Display trump accepts nomination
by Emily Bauwens

How to Lose a Politician in 200 Days

By Emily Bauwens - Aug 10 2017

In Donald Petrie’s iconic hilarious comedy “How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days,” Kate Hudson does everything possible to repel Matthew McConaughey’s romantic interests. The movie is filled with twists and turns, and the audience is left wiping away tears of laughter. Some of Kate Hudson’s actions are repulsive, and most are unacceptable. The audience is left wondering how McConaughey has put up with her antics for more than a few hours. I see a lot of similarities between "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days" and our current presidential situation. I, along with millions of Americans, am wondering what more Trump could possibly do to lose millions of Americans’ trust and overall respect. President Donald Trump has taken the American public on a disastrous rollercoaster in the past 200 days that can only be compared to the type of nonsense Hudson acts out so well. The only difference — no one is laughing. It seems as if Donald Trump is doing everything possible to repulse Americans, and it isn’t working in his favor, which is shown with a record low 33 percent approval rating.

So, for future reference for all of the politicians out there, here are five ways to lose the American public, specifically college students and Millennials.

1. Act like a child on Twitter.

We’ve all seen the tweets. From criticizing Nordstrom for the sake of his daughter’s business to accusing any news outlet reporting negatively on his behalf as "fake,” President Trump acts everything but presidential on Twitter. His behavior leaves people wondering why no one stops his impulsive rants and accusations on social media, and more importantly, how no one on his staff notices for hours on end when he tweets something like "covfefe." Because current college students were some of the first users on Twitter, some may sympathize with embarrassing old tweets from the past. However, as the President of the United States, there is no excuse for the type of language or lack of professionalism exhibited by Mr. Trump. His actions leave millennials questioning why their Twitter pages are more professional than the man who holds the most powerful position in the free world.

2. Undermine the press.

Trump constantly refers to journalists as “dishonest” and “scum,” doing everything in his power to undermine the credibility of the media. He seems to only trust conservative outlets such as Fox News and Breitbart. As an American citizen, Trump holds the same first amendment right to speak his mind as everyone else does. However, as the face of the nation and representative of the country, he has a responsibility to uphold the values and rights established in the Constitution. Freedom of the press is a right that many countries do not endorse — but America does. And for college students — particularly journalism majors — to listen to Trump attacking any negative news surrounding his actions is appalling. With so many millennials active on social media, they count on the right to express their opinion regardless of who is involved — politician or not. And to condemn the public’s right to express their views is simply un-American. As Frank Underwood expresses in House of Cards, “True leadership is not running away from those who disagree with you, it's embracing them.”

3. Ban a group of people from the military.

The United States military is a place for Americans who wish to serve more than themselves. It allows patriotism to guide one’s life and enables people to add meaning and honor to their legacies. And quite frankly, these brave men and women are the reason you and I wake up every morning in the haven we call the free world. To disallow people who are physically and academically able to serve this country the ability to do so is a disservice to what the United States stands for. Even if this policy didn’t feel parallel to the “don’t ask don’t tell" policy or didn’t alter the lives of the 15,000 transgender Americans that currently serve this country with pride (even though it did), Trump’s delivery of the news was appalling. In a series of three tweets, he informed transgender members of the military that their gender identity was more important than their service.

Even more, he defended the ban with the excuse that it would save money. Sadly, he forgot to review the military spending logs. If he did, he would notice that the military spends more money on Viagra than it does on transgender peoples' medical bills. And one mustn’t forget that on June 14, 2016, Donald Trump tweeted, “Thank you to the LGBT community! I will fight for you while Hillary brings in more people that will threaten your freedoms and beliefs.” No, Mr. President. They fought for you, and you abandoned them. And with the number of millennials supporting LGBTQ+ rights at a record high, you better believe you lost us on this one.

4. Brag about sexual assault.

Just a month before the election, a video was released of Billy Bush and Donald Trump having a conversation. In the video, Trump attests that he comes onto all women he finds attractive. He brags that he just kisses them without waiting, and they let him because he is a star. He describes that he uses his fame to manipulate women and even goes as far to say that he “grabs them by the p*ssy.” Trump spoke of his actions by defending them as “locker-room talk” — that is, a casual conversation between two men. It is “locker-room talk” such as this that perpetuates a society that dehumanizes women and enables a mindset that women are objects and should be treated as such. It is locker-room talk such as this that leads young men to grow up believing it is OK to sexually advance a woman without her consent. And it is locker-room talk such as this that preserves the statistic that one in five college women will be sexually assaulted. A man that participates in this type of dialogue and even goes as far to brag about it does not deserve to lead this country. As a college aged woman, I am appalled he represents the country I love, and I sympathize with those affected by his actions and statements.

5. Destroy the environment.

President Trump’s attack on the environment began with the selection of Scott Pruitt for the Environmental Protection Agency. Pruitt has a long history of fighting against the agency he now leads, specifically its clean air and water rules. Many of the EPA staff members and other cabinet members have ties to the fossil fuel industries and lobbying firms, ensuring that their priority will be to answer to those firms and industries rather than protecting the public’s health. Moreover, he proposed slashing the EPA’s budget, meaning that if passed, it will be increasingly difficult to protect the public from dirty air and water. Additionally, President Trump decided to pull out of the Paris Climate Accord which weakens efforts to combat global warming. With 97 percent of scientists confirming that climate change is real, America needs a strong stance on battling global warming. It is time we take care of our Earth rather than destroy it.

In just 200 days, President Trump has lost me, as I am sure he has lost many of you. Some of the ways he has chosen to serve as president are embarrassing and most are not presidential. Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey were hired to act in "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days" as a humorous comedy sure to leave viewers laughing. However, Donald Trump was not hired to make people laugh. He wasn't hired to see what he could do to make the United States turn upside down on both a global and domestic scale. Rather, he was elected by the Electoral College and the electorate of the United States with the notion that he would carry out his presidential oath to "faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of [his] Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States." In my opinion, he has failed in doing so.

Lead Image Credit: Voice of America via Wikimedia Commons

Emily Bauwens - George Washington University

Emily is a freshman at The George Washington University in Washington D.C. double majoring in International Affairs and Political Science with a focus on Public Policy. She is passionate about politics, human rights, and lives her life being "fearless in the pursuit of what sets her soul on fire". To keep up with Emily, follow her Instagram @emily_bauwens!