by Emily Perry

Why The Random Roommate Process Isn't as Bad as You Think

By Emily Perry - Jan 21 2016

The current trend on college campuses is to come prepared on move-in day with a roommate that you hand picked, whether on the class Facebook group, or whether you knew them from before. Some of us, however, aren't that lucky and we are stuck with the dreaded housing survey that sorts us into roommate assignments by hours we prefer to sleep and other weird questions we answer on the seemingly never-ending list of questions.

I'll admit, I was afraid walking into my room on the first day, rooming with a girl that I'd exchanged a total of nine messages with. It turned out to be the absolute best experience of my life. She and I get along incredibly well, contrary to many of the horror stories that are circulated around freshman advice columns and campus in general.

Many of my fellow students switched roommates in September or even as early as August because they simply didn't mesh with the people they were assigned to or even the person they picked. I started thinking about this, and wondered how in the world these people were incompatible with regards to the very basic aspects of sleeping schedules and expectations about guests in the room, but then I remembered, not everyone was honest, and not everyone shared their quirks as openly as they should have.

The trick, my friends, is to be COMPLETELY and 100% honest when you're answering questions. If you're not going to stay up until 3 am, don't try and be "chill" by saying you will; if you have a preference as to your roommate's political affiliation, don't answer implying that you don't. Survey's can only match you with your ideal partner if you're honest.

This is the underlying problem: dishonesty. We all know this conceptually, but when it comes time to put it into practice, many of us freak out. We want to come across as cool and chill, without realizing that needing to switch roommates in September will prove to be the anthesis of our intentions.

So, to the current college freshman, and the new class of 2020, please be honest when you're doing anything, and don't be afraid of random roommate assignments or random assignments in general. Yeah, it might seem scary, and you might not find your best friend, but if you're honest about yourself and your expectation of others, everything should (and will) turn out completely fine. 

Lead Image Credit:

Emily Perry - Rhodes College

Emily is a Russian Studies major at Rhodes College in Memphis, TN. She loves film, literature, and the US National Park Service. Emily has been writing for Fresh U since June of 2014 and has served as both a web editor and a social media editor. Outside of Fresh U, she volunteers with the YMCA Center for Civic Engagement and is involved with her sorority, Alpha Omicron Pi.