Display 130301100626 college 21 and over horizontal gallery 2
by Emily Perry

Top 5 Movies that Got College Completely Wrong

By Emily Perry - Oct 29 2015

1. Liberal Arts (2012) dir. Josh Radnor

This extremely romanticized film shows a thirty-something college grad named Jesse, return to his college in order to attend his favorite professor's retirement party. When he gets back to his old college town, Jesse meets a freshman and has a fling with her, as well as sleeping with one of his old English professors. This movie, although wonderful, depicts college in a way that is anything but realistic.  The movie's one redeeming quality comes from a character played by Zac Efron -- a stoner that is always on campus preaching some sort of enlightenment that he has achieved through study and contemplation. This is definitely someone you know on your campus!

2. Pitch Perfect (2012) dir. Jason Moore

This movie is honestly everything I dream of college being like. A niche where I fit perfectly, a great a Capella group that seems to come out of nowhere, and a hilarious supporting cast to back me up whenever I needed some time off-screen. But unfortunately, that's not how college is at all. College, to be frank, isn't filled with cliques, deadly rivalries, and other girls singing to you in the shower. Moreover, this movie perpetuates stereotypes about race and social class for a laugh. While it succeeds in getting the laughs, come on people -- us college kids know that isn't how it is!

3. Van Wilder: Freshman Year (2009) dir. Harvey Glazer

No college campus that I know of or that I've visited has a rivalry quite like this. Frankly, if someone has beef with someone, they normally avoid them. I honestly can't believe a director thought high school drama like fighting over girls existed in college. Also, the amount of sex in this movie tops anything imaginable! If you're having as much fun as the characters in Van Wilder are having, let me know where you go to school, because I just might transfer! 

(On another note, someone please tell the director that ROTC can't be mandatory for a school's graduation since it's a pre-military program that is based on application).  

• 4. Legally Blonde (2001) dir. Robert Luketic

Come on people, let's face it. What sorority girl do we know that is anything like Elle? Honestly, sororities are all about sisterhood, but not to the point where the only thing they do is hang out in their houses all day! Also, not everyone at Harvard is boring and drab as portrayed. Just because students are smart, doesn't mean they don't enjoy having fun like the rest of us. Don't get me wrong, it's still a fabulous movie, franchise, and musical all rolled into one!

5. Animal House (1978) dir. John Landis

Oh my gosh, college is totally about going out EVERY night, having sex EVERY NIGHT, getting hammered EVERY night, and being in a frat and ONLY doing frat things. Also, you ONLY have one friend that you do EVERYTHING with. Well played Animal House...well played. 

Lead Image Credit: Relativity Media

Emily Perry - Rhodes College

Emily is a Russian Studies major at Rhodes College in Memphis, TN. She loves film, literature, and the US National Park Service. Emily has been writing for Fresh U since June of 2014 and has served as both a web editor and a social media editor. Outside of Fresh U, she volunteers with the YMCA Center for Civic Engagement and is involved with her sorority, Alpha Omicron Pi.