Display 635812114931924501 1349189003 sorority collage
by Emily Perry

Spring Rush: Why I Waited

By Emily Perry - Feb 09 2016

When I entered college, I was very torn in regards to going through sorority recruitment. I didn't want one organization to define my college career, nor did I want all my friends to be members of one sorority. At my college, recruitment occurs the second week of school, and so I decided against joining a sorority. I wanted to get a feel for college and make friends without a Greek affiliation. 

Around October, though, I realized that something was missing from my college experience. After thinking about it for a while, I decided to rush one sorority through a process called "continuous open bidding", which some Greek organizations leave open to those who want to join their sorority. This process was right for me in all ways, shapes, and forms. It wasn't stressful, and it allowed me to join the organization that I had identified most with, after being on campus for a semester and making friends from people from every Greek Organization and those not associated with Greek Life at all. 

Recruitment was very laid back and non-stressful. The main event was a night of drinking hot chocolate and socializing with active members of the sorority. In that room, I found a home with all the friends I'd made previously that semester, and the sisters that I didn't know were extremely welcoming to me and enjoyed the prospect of me joining their sorority. 

I had to wait over Winter Break and on into January before receiving my bid, which was quite an excruciating process, given the fact that I wanted to join this organization so badly. However, when Bid Day came, I was so happy to be a part of an organization where I could express myself and be accepted. I now have a huge group of women who will support me in all my endeavors and who will not hesitate to be at my side whenever I am in need. Every day, I see new things about my sorority that I enjoy, and being directly involved in Greek Life allows so many opportunities to connect with individuals. 

On Bid Day, several girls I had come to know and love throughout my first semester walked up to me and congratulated me, hugged me and said how glad they were that I was now their sister, and many said they attended the optional event because of me. That genuine love for others is not found in every organization, but it is found in mine. 

Spring rush was honestly the best decision I've made thus far in college, and I am so glad I waited until spring to do so. Waiting allowed for me to gain a full perspective of Greek Life while also learning where I would fit best. It also allowed me to adjust to life in college before diving head first into Greek Life. Throughout my first semester, I always seemed to connect best with members of a certain sorority and those women seemed to be ever present in my clubs and other organizations. They seemed to be genuinely nice individuals who were interested in my life and how they could help me thrive. Now being in their sorority, I can 100% say that is true. 

Lead Image Credit: The Odyssey Online 

Emily Perry - Rhodes College

Emily is a Russian Studies major at Rhodes College in Memphis, TN. She loves film, literature, and the US National Park Service. Emily has been writing for Fresh U since June of 2014 and has served as both a web editor and a social media editor. Outside of Fresh U, she volunteers with the YMCA Center for Civic Engagement and is involved with her sorority, Alpha Omicron Pi.