Display netflix christmas 644x373
by Emily Perry

10 Obscure Holiday Movies You Should Watch On Netflix

By Emily Perry - Dec 10 2015
We're all familiar with the Christmas Classics like "I'll be Home for Christmas," "White Christmas," and "The Legend of Frosty the Snowman," but sometimes, you need something new to watch!

1. A Very Murray Christmas.

This Netflix Special is sure to make your days Merry and Bright. It's a collection of super-stars that we all know and love, combined with dark humor surrounding the holiday season. Who wouldn't love a musical holiday special with Amy Poehler, Bill Murray, and Michael Cera?!

2. Happy Christmas. 

Remember those heart-warming holiday movies about families coming together and remembering how to be happy? Well, that's exactly what this film is, just with Anna Kendrick!  Merry Christmas from one of the most up-and-coming actresses of our generation!

3. Holiday.

Okay, films with alternate / parallel universes are always the best. So this holiday movie in another dimension is a must-watch! Full of romantic cliche's with childhood sweethearts, this movie is sure to make you smile during the holiday season. 

4. Ernest Saves Christmas.

Santa Claus is in need of a successor and Ernest is just the man for the search! This holiday comedy is sure to brighten the short December days while you're home for break. Described as a "bumbling fool," the future of Christmas rests in Ernest's hands and this film is such a ride!

5. 12 Dates of Christmas.

ABC Family makes some pretty great holiday movies, and some pretty great romantic comedies, and who wouldn't want to watch a mash-up of those two genres?! Follow the main character, Kate, re-live the same Christmas first date twelve times in an attempt to win back her true love. 

6. Small Town Santa.

One of the best qualities of the holiday season is the feeling of love all around us, and that's exactly what this film is about. When the local sheriff looses his holiday spirit, it's up to the new girl in town to show him what he's missing and to help him remember how wonderful Christmas is. Also, you get to witness what it's like to arrest Santa on Christmas!!

7. Switchmas.

Remember that not everyone celebrates Christmas, and this film explores what it's like for a Jewish boy to play a switch-a-roo and experience Christmas festivities in Christmastown, Washington. This film will leave you with a smile on your face and a nice holiday feeling in your heart. 

8. Saving Santa.

Who doesn't love a good animated holiday movie? What about time travel and a barn-elf saving Christmas? Count me in! Sometimes, all we need to unwind is a nice children's movie designed to make us laugh and de-stress during finals! This would also be the perfect movie to watch if you're tasked with entertaining the little cousins visiting from who-knows-where.

9. Christmas Town.

Christmas is often the best time for workaholics to wind down and remember how to be happy and relax. That's exactly what happens in this movie about a woman reuniting with her father during the holidays. 

10. Christmas Kiss.

Love Triangles, Office Christmas Parties and the Boss's Boyfriend. This movie is the perfect film to make yourself a cup of hot chocolate, snuggle under covers, and watch on a cold winter's night. The perfect Netflix, Holiday Rom-Com for those of us who don't have a Christmas sweet heart. 

Film Thumbnails: Netflix.com

Lead Image: makeuseof.com

Emily Perry - Rhodes College

Emily is a Russian Studies major at Rhodes College in Memphis, TN. She loves film, literature, and the US National Park Service. Emily has been writing for Fresh U since June of 2014 and has served as both a web editor and a social media editor. Outside of Fresh U, she volunteers with the YMCA Center for Civic Engagement and is involved with her sorority, Alpha Omicron Pi.