Display still of john belushi in animal house 19781
by Emily Perry

7 Movies that Accurately Depict College

By Emily Perry - Dec 07 2015

1. Good Will Hunting (1997).

imdb

College is where students can gain a professor's attention and truly have their chance to prove themselves and shine. This film, starring Robin Williams, depicts this kind of relationship between a professor and a student in the best light possible. It will warm the heart of any watcher. 

2. Monsters University (2013).

pixar

Sure, this is an animated movie, but it describes college so well! Finding new friends, proving yourself to the "cool" people, and trying to navigate yourself through the party and greek scene, it can all be a little overwhelming! But ultimately, you'll come out of the entire process with a great outlook on life and some pretty good friends. 

3. The Social Network (2010).

wikipedia

While it isn't about college proper, The Social Network tackles some of the more important questions that face current college students - whether to stay in school to finish a degree, or whether to take the amazing job offer you received from a highly successful start-up. Mark Zuckerberg seemed to figure it out, and Jesse Eisenberg does a wonderful job of portraying the inner battle one faces when dropping out of college. 

4. Prozac Nation (2001).

wikipedia

This film portrays stress and the demands of college through the lens of a woman with a mental illness. It tackles tough questions of depression, loss, and a student's role in their education. It's a hard film to watch, but is well worth it and provokes some serious thought as to what extent students shovel-stress their bodies and emotions in order to make the highest marks. 

5. Spitting Game: The College Hook Up Culture (2009).

taboojive.com

While it is a documentary, this film takes a look at the hook-up cultures found in many colleges around the country. It's been compared to a "Pandora's Box," in that it opened the door for a substantial amount of discussion on the subject. The story is told point blank, making sure to address the often-found drunken, no-strings attached sexual encounter. It also goes further to call sex the next addiction issue on campuses. 

6. 21 & Over (2013).

wikipedia

While really only about one night, this film is able to show how much college students need to decompress after a long week of studying and school. It is also a wonderful look at the role of expectation and outside pressure in our education. While a little outlandish in their escapades, Miles Teller and his cohorts do a great job at having a good night out!

7. 21 (2008).

wikipedia

We will all do anything to pay for college, right? Well in this film, students realize that sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do and they take to the Vegas Strip to see if they can earn some winnings to get though grad school.

lead image credit: quotesgram.com

Emily Perry - Rhodes College

Emily is a Russian Studies major at Rhodes College in Memphis, TN. She loves film, literature, and the US National Park Service. Emily has been writing for Fresh U since June of 2014 and has served as both a web editor and a social media editor. Outside of Fresh U, she volunteers with the YMCA Center for Civic Engagement and is involved with her sorority, Alpha Omicron Pi.