Display 214h
by Emily Perry

Make Your Dorm Your Home

By Emily Perry - Sep 18 2015

If you're like most of the college freshman in the United States, you are currently living in a rather small space, constantly surrounded by people, and you're away from home. The little things are often what we miss, so here are some ways I make my dorm feel more like home, and ways i make it my own!

- Windows

DON'T block your window! The natural light makes the space so much more open and inviting. In the afternoon, when I come in after class, not having to turn on the fluorescent light just makes my day a little better. If you're feeling bold, hang up some curtains to add a little color and a way to shield yourself from sunlight in the early morning hours. 

- Succulents

These little plants are lifesavers, and they really liven up a fairly dead space. They are very low maintenance, and planters come in all shapes, sizes, and prices! 

- Rugs

I spent (arguably) too much money on my rug, but once I got to school, I realized how much I enjoyed having it! Cold tile floors are a very rude awakening when your feet hit the floor in the mornings. Having a nice, soft landing starts off the morning right!

- Find Space Outside

Every campus has places where no one seems to go, or that one beautiful place that seems undiscovered. Go explore and find it for yourself! Having a place outside to study, talk on the phone, or read a good book is extremely valuable when we spend so much time surrounded by hundreds of people we barley know.

- Clean

I know it sounds self-explanatory, but some of you need to hear it over and over. No one wants to come home to a messy dorm, so take five minute every morning to straighten your covers, pick up trash, and hang up that sweater laying on your desk chair. Once a week, maybe on laundry day, go ahead and take out the trash, dust the flat surfaces, and change your sheets. You won't believe the different it'll make for your dorm experience.

Lead Image Credit: Gratisography

Emily Perry - Rhodes College

Emily is a Russian Studies major at Rhodes College in Memphis, TN. She loves film, literature, and the US National Park Service. Emily has been writing for Fresh U since June of 2014 and has served as both a web editor and a social media editor. Outside of Fresh U, she volunteers with the YMCA Center for Civic Engagement and is involved with her sorority, Alpha Omicron Pi.