Display social media people1
by Emily Perry

If Social Media Sites were College Students

By Emily Perry - Nov 04 2015

Twitter

Twitter is the kid who can somehow say so much in so few words. They're super fun to be around, but on an off day, they talk WAY too much. Whenever anything of note happens in politics or entertainment, though, they're the person to turn to because Twitter has all the opinions and sources. They're definitely a political science major. 

Tumblr

Tumblr is the hipster without a doubt. They're witty and dress super well. Tumblr is an excellent photographer and has some kind of weird savvy for HTML coding. They also have the hook-up for almost everything via their vast network of internet friends. Don't ask Tumblr for any personal information before they offer, though, because they won't take it well. Tumblr is a philosophy major and will talk your ear off if you get them started about the evolution of human thought. 

Snapchat

Snapchat is the party kid that wants everyone to know they were at a party. Heck, they want people to know everything they are doing at every minute of every day! Snapchat is also sort of questionable when it comes to what they send on private messages, but you just don't ask and they won't talk about it. Snapchat is undeclared and proud of it!

Facebook

Facebook is the super involved one on campus. They know EVERYTHING about everyone and seem to have so many friends, you question whether they actually know them all. Facebook is class president, panhellenic president, and is president of countless other clubs on campus. At first, you questioned whether you should be friends with Facebook or not, but then you realized how much a friendship was necessary. No one knows what Facebook is majoring in, but it probably has something to do with computers.

LinkedIn 

LinkedIn is that kid that always wears a suit. They are super focused on their future, and see every conversation as a networking opportunity. Sometimes, they can get a little annoying talking about the numerous jobs and internships they have had or are applying to. But hey, deep down, you respect them for work ethic and drive. LinkedIn is 100% a business major

Instagram

Instagram is the one photography kid every campus has. They always have their camera on them, and they have a note of puns in their phone. They're super cool to be with, and their wardrobe is always carefully planned and executed. Instagram also has the BEST travel stories because Instagram seems to have been everywhere! Instagram and Tumblr got along super well, until Instagram started dating Facebook. Instagram is a photography major that is also minoring in multiple languages.

Pinterest 

Pinterest is the DIY kid on campus. The one who's dorm is decorated with things only made by hand (or purchased on Etsy) and the kid who is always looking for new ideas for crafts during class. Pinterest also spends a ton of time in the art building, and is where you should go if you need art supplies. Pinterest is probably majoring in Organizational Psychology. 

Google Plus

Google+ is that commuter kid who you see around, but don't quite know what their life is like outside of campus. You don't see Google+ at parties or school functions, or even on your social media circles. One thing you do know is that they drive a super nice car. Google+ is a pre-med / computer science major that will probably drop out before graduation, but still go on to have an amazing life with plenty of money.

Reddit

Reddit is the kid that somehow knows everything about what there is to know. Reddit is super vocal in the classroom and always has a story to share that goes along with the lecture. Reddit gets on some people's nerves, but most kids can at least tolerate him in small doses. He is also one of the main social activists on campus and hates that the campus wifi has a filter on it. Reddit is majoring in Mechanical Engineering.

MySpace

MySpace is your thirty-year-old professor who tries to make references that appeal to "your generation," but they never quite make it. Sure, some people understand and laugh at their jokes, but that kid is almost always Tumblr or one of Tumblr's friends. 

YikYak

YikYak is that kid on campus who isn't afraid to say what everyone else is thinking. You're not quite sure how they do it, but they seem to be able to see everything on campus and know what everyone is thinking. This kid is also super close with someone on administration so they don't get in trouble and they help out student causes! YikYak just wants to help people, so they are probably an Urban Studies major.

Vine

Vine is that friend that laughs at everything! You can only take them for 6 second intervals, but you wouldn't get rid of them outright. Vine wouldn't be who they are without the help of Twitter, and they know it, but won't acknowledge it outright. You love Vine for everything they are. Sometimes, Vine tries to branch out and be more like YouTube, but they can't seem to get it quite right.  Vine started as a film major, but then changed to something a little more practical.

YouTube

YouTube is the kid who is always filming on campus. Their SnapChat story is exclusively videos, and they are the ones using the campus bandwidth to upload all day. Youtube also sometimes needs a breather halfway through the day to finish buffering. Youtube is super good at being artsy and taking about the things they love! YouTube is a film major who will probably end up teaching high school art. 

*bonus*

GroupMe

GroupMe is every college student because every college student is in at least 50 group messages that they just end up muting. 

Lead Image Credit: revel.in

All Social Media Logos: iconarchive.com

Emily Perry - Rhodes College

Emily is a Russian Studies major at Rhodes College in Memphis, TN. She loves film, literature, and the US National Park Service. Emily has been writing for Fresh U since June of 2014 and has served as both a web editor and a social media editor. Outside of Fresh U, she volunteers with the YMCA Center for Civic Engagement and is involved with her sorority, Alpha Omicron Pi.