Display dscn1272 copy
by Emily Perry

8 Foods You Can Make Without Leaving Your Dorm

By Emily Perry - Feb 10 2016
Dorm rooms are some of the hardest places to make a good meal, given the fact that you're forbidden to have hot plates, ovens, and basically any good kitchen equipment. Here are some recipes for when you don't want campus food, but you don't just want another serving of ramen.

1. Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese

The Food Network

- 1 Stick of butter / margarine
- 2 slices of bread
- 2 slices of cheese
- 1 container of microwave soup
Most coffee makers come with a warming pad to keep the coffee warm. This makes a perfect small burner for small things like grilled cheese! Run some water through the maker (perfect for tea!) and then put a (very small) amount of butter on the burner to keep the cheese from sticking, and make a grilled cheese like normal! It's such a good meal, and it's especially good if you're feeling under the weather. 

*TIP: If you don't want to use your coffee maker, wrap the sandwich in foil and iron it instead!

2. Breakfast Sandwich 

twopeasintheirpod.com

- 1 egg
- 1 English muffin
- 1 slice of cheese
- 2 slices bacon / Canadian bacon / turkey bacon
I make this every morning because I can't stand the eggs in my dining hall. Toast the English muffin and whatever meat you are using in the microwave using directions provided. It's really good to put the cheese on the hot bacon so it melts a little. Remember the coffee maker burner? Well, it also cooks eggs if you're patient enough. It's best done over easy, medium, or hard. (I haven't tried scrambled yet)

Spinach and tomato are also really good on English Muffin breakfast sandwiches if you're looking for a more healthy alternative!

3. Mug Cakes

There are so many of these recipes on the internet, and you can make so many variations! Most of them require flour and other baking needs, but once you buy a small bag of flour, you'll have enough for SO MANY CAKES – I highly doubt you'll run out. I get all my favorite recipes from Babble!

Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cake: 

babble.com

- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp peanut butter
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1 Tbsp cocoa
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- chocolate chips
In a small bowl, stir the egg, brown sugar, peanut butter, flour, cocoa and baking powder with a fork. Stir in the chocolate chips and pour batter into a greased ramekin or mug. Microwave for 1 minute. Eat straight from the mug, or invert onto a plate -- Best with Ice Cream

My roommate and I use a spoon with heaping spoonfuls to represent a tablespoon. The important thing to keep consistent is the proportions. I recommend adding a splash of milk to keep the cake from being too dry. 

4. (Sweet) Potatoes

Baked potatoes are one of my favorite starches, and you can EASILY make them in a microwave! 

*Directions below are for a medium sized potato, larger / smaller potatoes, adjust cooking time*

allrecipes.com
1. Clean your  potato
2. Poke your potato so it doesn't blow up in the microwave 
3. Wrap your potato in a wet paper towel (this helps it "steam" and not be as dry)
4. Cook your potato in the microwave for about 3 minutes, flip it and cook for an extra 2-3 minutes

5. Let your potato cool and dress it. 

For sweet potatoes, I recommend butter and brown sugar. For normal potatoes, I suggest butter, cheese, sour cream, and turkey bacon.

Thanks Clean Eating Veggie Girl for these directions!

5. GOOD Macaroni & Cheese 

madebymonique.com

- 1 cup water
- ½ cup elbow macaroni
- ½ cup cheeses of choice
1. Put macaroni in a mug and pour in water (make sure the water covers the noodles)
2. Microwave on high for 8 minutes pausing at 5 and 2 minutes to stir and add more water if necessary.
3. Cook until al dente.
4. Add cheese to pasta mixing with the small amount of water remaining at bottom of mug
5. If cheese does not completely melt, pop mug back in microwave for 30-60 seconds
6. Stir then enjoy!

This recipe is also super awesome if you add veggies or other mac & cheese add-ins!

Thanks to MadeByMonique for this killer idea!

6. Gourmet Bagel

brobagel.com

- 1 Everything Bagel
- 1 Tub sundried tomato cream cheese
- 1 tomato
- 1 avocado

I'm not sure why this combination is so good, but it is wonderful and extremely filling! I started eating this at a local coffee shop and then realized I could make it myself whenever I was craving it! If you don't have a toaster for your bagel, use the ironing tip from number one to warm and crisp the bagel. Sure, you can change the type of bagel and cream cheese, but those are just my favorites!

7. Nutella Balls

SimpleGreenMoms

- 2 cups quick oats
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup Nutella

Okay, so this takes a little effort, but once you make a batch, you will have them for a while! These are a great on-the-go snack, especially in the morning. Plus, it's a great way to eat Nutella without feeling guilty! Mix the dry ingredients, mix in honey and Nutella, and then roll into balls! It's so easy!

Thanks to Simple Green Moms for this idea!

8. Veggie Burrito Bowl

Healthy-Liv

- 1 cup cooked brown rice (I used Trader Joe's frozen pre-cooked brown rice)

- 1/2 cup black beans, drained and rinsed

- 2-3 tablespoons salsa, or to taste

- 1 tablespoon plain Greek yogurt

- 1 tablespoon shredded cheddar or Mexican-blend cheese

*Diced avocado, optional*

Prepare brown rice according to package instructions. THEN, In a microwave-safe bowl, combine rice, black beans, salsa, plain Greek yogurt, and shredded cheese. Microwave on high for 30-60 seconds, or until heated through. Top with diced avocado, diced tomato, guacamole, pico de gallo, crushed tortilla chips, or other desired toppings.

This one is so filling and so easy! Whenever you're craving Chipotle, just reach for your own food, instead of dishing out money, which college kids definitely don't have.

Thanks so much Healthy-Liv for this one!

Lead Image Credit: SundayFoodApprentice

Emily Perry - Rhodes College

Emily is a Russian Studies major at Rhodes College in Memphis, TN. She loves film, literature, and the US National Park Service. Emily has been writing for Fresh U since June of 2014 and has served as both a web editor and a social media editor. Outside of Fresh U, she volunteers with the YMCA Center for Civic Engagement and is involved with her sorority, Alpha Omicron Pi.