Display dear white people hp e1414116662957
by Emily Perry

The 6 Best Movies for College Students

By Emily Perry - Oct 31 2015

After writing an article about the inaccuracies in many college films, I remembered how amazing some movies are that focus on college, or life right after college. Below are some of my favorites!

1. The Diary of Preston Plummer (2012) dir. Sean Ackerman

This movie is on my top 10 list of movies that I've watched. It focuses around two recent graduates, Kate and Preston, from college who meet at a post graduation party. Kate convinces Preston to drive her down to her family's house in Florida upon first encounter, and their relationship develops from there. This movie is a must-watch if you're looking for some deep thought, as Preston is a physicist who is obsessed with Entropy. TW: sexual assault

2. Dear White People (2014) dir. Justin Simien

Dear White People is the story of several African American students on campus of an Ivy League school, all of whom are trying to defy societal stereotypes, challenge family wishes, and find their place in the social scene. The film is witty, well written and directed, and above all else, raises many questions about race and political correctness in general. The film is extremely thought-provoking and I cannot recommend it highly enough!

3. Whiplash (2014) dir. Damien Chazelle

This film is absolutely wonderful on all accounts; from subject matter to film score to cast. But perhaps the best way this film presents itself is to the student viewer market. While the film is about a drummer at a music conservatory, the stress that he faces from himself, his parents, and his professors, are relatable to all students who want to do their best. The film isn't all serious, though, as it contains some lighthearted romantic moments that will make any film viewer smile. 

4. An Education (2009) dir. Lone Scherfig 

This film, although about a high school girl in the UK, speaks to me as a college student because she is faced with a hard decision and much temptation as to whether to continue with her education, or continue a relationship with someone who could provide for her. As so many college students drop out before graduation in order to go directly into the work force, this film seems incredible relevant as a whole. Also, who wouldn't want to watch a movie with Carey Mulligan?

5. Rudy (1993) dir. David Anspaugh

Rudy is the story of Rudy Ruettiger, who faces many challenges in order to play football for Notre Dame. This is THE college football movie, and it's perfect for this current fall weather. Also, the film is extremely uplifting and shows how wonderful friendships can be when they are done right. Lastly, if you're struggling with family pressure during college, this movie can be a super good relatable feature for you to watch. 

6. Ivory Tower (2014) dir. Andrew Rossi

This documentary questions the value of higher education in a time when the price has increased by so much. The film also examines the different types of education and how they can be beneficial to students. While the film isn't meant for entertainment exactly, it is a great documentary to provoke thought about the current American education system. 

Emily Perry - Rhodes College

Emily is a Russian Studies major at Rhodes College in Memphis, TN. She loves film, literature, and the US National Park Service. Emily has been writing for Fresh U since June of 2014 and has served as both a web editor and a social media editor. Outside of Fresh U, she volunteers with the YMCA Center for Civic Engagement and is involved with her sorority, Alpha Omicron Pi.