Display toddlers in preschool
by Emily Perry

11 Ways College and Preschool Are the Same

By Emily Perry - Nov 19 2015

1. Naps

Remember in Preschool and Kindergarten when we couldn't make it through the day without at least an hour nap? Well, I have found that college is virtually the same in this regard. I won't be caught dead without a mid-day nap. 

2 . Friends

Making friends is largely just a game of chance. We become friends with the people we see often, whether they're in our dorm building, or we have class with them every day. Relationships have become based on the simple question "do you want to be friends?" yet again. 

3. Tears, Tears, and more Tears

Whenever something bad happened in Preschool and we were without our parents, the tears flowed freely. This holds true in college. Even though we are eighteen and nineteen, we still miss the support and the calming effects of mommy and daddy. 

4. Movie Time!

Being plopped in front of the television was always a blessing, especially when it had anything to do with class. Nowadays, film reviews in class are always the best; having an excuse to watch a movie for class instead of doing "actual work"? Sign me up.

5. Food Intake

Doesn't a grilled cheese sound amazing right now? I don't know about you, but my diet has again been reduced to Preschool food: chicken fingers, grilled cheese, and PB&J!

6. Hating Homework

Remember when Mom and Dad had to sit with us and make sure we did our homework? Right about now more than ever, I need them to keep doing that, since I'd much rather do anything but school work.

7. Crushes

While the opposite sex no longer has cooties, everyone is quickly developing those crushes that will never come to mean anything more, and sometimes you don't even know their name!

8. I Have No Money!

Remember in Preschool when one dollar seemed like a lot of money? As we grew older, we soon realized this was not the case, and our parents started helping us find jobs and providing allowances. But now that we're on our own, any amount of money we acquire seems like a fortune!

9. "Let me Ask my Mom."

While we don't necessary utter this exact phrase, whenever we need to anything pertaining to using our space, it requires asking the roommate, or roommates. Whenever we try and make plans, now, it's always is accompanied by the phrase "let me ask my roommate"

10. Going Home

Going home at breaks means a lot of happiness, getting to see your best friend, hug your grandma, and eat your mom's cooking. The feeling of excitement feels just like that of dismissal after a long hard day of Preschool.

11. Coloring

Adult coloring books are the best things in the world, and sometimes, you just need to sit down and color to get rid of all the stressors in your life. No shame!

Lead Image Credit: Novak Djokovic Foundation

Emily Perry - Rhodes College

Emily is a Russian Studies major at Rhodes College in Memphis, TN. She loves film, literature, and the US National Park Service. Emily has been writing for Fresh U since June of 2014 and has served as both a web editor and a social media editor. Outside of Fresh U, she volunteers with the YMCA Center for Civic Engagement and is involved with her sorority, Alpha Omicron Pi.